Looking Back On Fall 2019

As another semester comes to a close, we at The Phoenix are taking time to reflect on this semester’s events and our coverage of them. In this final editorial of Fall 2019, we’re highlighting articles that capture the culture, events, and accomplishments that have shaped campus life and conversations this semester. 

In news, Bastiaan Phair wrote about the college’s renewable energy credits policy in relation to the college’s goal of decreasing Swarthmore’s college footprint. Jacinta Fernandes-Brough covered the Republican machine in Delaware County and the importance of this year’s local elections. In honor of the college’s yearlong celebration of the 50th anniversary of the BCC and the Black Studies department and the 25th anniversary of the Chester Children’s Chorus, Naomi Park and Tiara Tillis wrote features on students, faculty, and staff who exemplify Black excellence.

In Opinions, Tyler White wrote powerfully about how the Campus Coalition Concerning Chester (C4) is working to build connections between Swarthmore and Chester. Elena Lee argued that Swarthmore students should be nicknamed S’mores instead of Swatties. Daniel Baluro wrote about the threat of climate change to his home of American Samoa and the importance of protest. 

In Sports, Jacob Brady documented the men’s and women’s soccer teams’ dual runs through the NCAA Tournament, and previewed men’s soccer’s captivating Sweet 16 matchup against Connecticut College here at Swarthmore. Steven Castro, in the realm of professional sports brought a cinematic and insightful voice to describing landmark professional boxing matches throughout the semester, including the dramatic familial affair of Shakur Stevenson and Joet Gonzalez’s fight. 

In Campus Journal, we published far too many articles about bodily fluids, one of which was Alex Kingsley’s exhaustive compilation of the number one places to go number two. Also notable was Lijia Liu’s Tea Time advice column, which regularly quenched our thirst for steaming hot takes on life at Swarthmore. And for first years, seniors, and everyone in between, Ann Sinclair’s Ultimate Swarthmore Library Quiz provided an indispensable resource for finding the best places to study, gossip, and sleep! 

Arts also had an exciting semester. After holding their breath as they listened to Pussy Riot’s Nadya Tolokonnikova’s frank discussion about activism in totalitarian Russia, students screamed and raved as her electrifying concert shook Upper Tarble. Famed photographer Henry Horenstein exhibited in the List Gallery; Swarthmore and Bryn Mawr dancers took the stage along the renowned Doug Varone & Company; and EVS and dining staff artists stole the show in Kitao Gallery. In addition, section editor Rachel Lapides started the highly-anticipated Artist of the Week column, which received over 50 peer nominations. From dancer, to sculptor of public art, to maker of amazing jeans, to orchestra conductor, the student artists we managed to cover come from diverse disciplines and backgrounds. We also want to highlight the writers who reviewed movies, albums, plays, museum exhibitions, and the occasional Chinatown pastry.

In reflecting on our coverage this semester, we’d like to take this opportunity to reaffirm the importance of student journalism. We thank the writers, photographers, layout editors, and other Phoenix staff who have worked hard every week to make this journalism possible. To our readers, we appreciate your support and look forward to delivering new coverage in the spring.