About

Published since 1881, The Phoenix is the independent campus newspaper of Swarthmore College, a small liberal arts college in suburban Philadelphia. We are currently Swarthmore’s only print newspaper and we are entirely student-run.

As an independent publication, we report on the college, not for the college. We pursue journalism freely without restrictions or review from the administration or any individual or organization. While our publication is ultimately funded by the Office of Student Engagement, because our funding process is mediated through the Student Budget Committee, our decision-making is in no way shaped by these entities or the college in general.

For a list of students currently on our editorial board, see this page.

We welcome feedback from the community. To send us your thoughts and concerns anonymously or non-anonymously, see this page.

Print Publication

In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, and Swarthmore College’s decision to have only a portion of the student body on-campus, The Phoenix will not have print issues for the Fall 2020 semester. We, however, do intend to continue regular publication on our online platforms. Articles will be published on our Facebook and Twitter, as well as in our weekly newsletter, to current students and faculty and staff, on a regular basis. Our coverage will continue to include updates on the college’s response to COVID-19, as well as the content of our regular sections.

Offices

The Phoenix’s offices are located in room 470 of Parrish Hall at Swarthmore College. However, due to COVID-19, The Phoenix does not currently hold office hours.

Policies

See this page for information about editorial policies.

Advertising

See this page for advertising information and pricing.

Archives

Print issues going back to 1881 are available in the McCabe Library at Swarthmore College. See this page for recent issue PDFs.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!