Smoke Detected in Science Center, No One Harmed

At approximately 10:30 a.m. on September 23, Public Safety responded to reports of smoke being detected in the air handler in the Science Center. According to Director of Public Safety Mike Hill, a light malfunction in the Science Center caused the smoke.

“A light ballast burnt out in the area of Eldridge Commons and a faulty HVAC motor caused the alarm.  As a result of the smoke and burning odor several community members acted quickly and activated the fire alarm pull stations as well, which sounded the building alarms and required the building to be evacuated,” wrote Hill.

Classes in the Science Center were temporarily evacuated while emergency responses inspected the building. Once the all-clear was given, classes resumed.

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

The Phoenix

Discover more from The Phoenix

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading