Swatter (February 29—March 6): Dating Violence and Vehicle Accidents

September, Swatter
The Swatter

Suspicious Odor

Date: Monday, February 29, 2016
Time: 11:30 AM
Location: Kyle Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety and Facilities responded to the exterior of Kyle House for the report of a gasoline odor. It was determined that a vehicle owned by a Swarthmore employee had a leak. The owner was notified and removed the vehicle from campus. An absorbant was used to contain the gasoline. The Office of Environmental Health and Safety was notified.
Status: Closed

Vehicle Accident

Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2016
Time: 02:02 PM
Location: Sharples Dining Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Sharples lot for the report of a vehicle accident. There were no injuries and both parties were identified.
Status: Closed

Investigation of Conditions

Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2016
Time: 03:42 PM
Location: Dupont Lot
Synopsis: A Swarthmore College employee contacted Public Safety and reported an unknown male walking around Whittier lot placing business cards on vehicles within the lot. The business was identified and contacted to not distribute advertising on campus.
Status: Closed

Investigation

Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2016
Time: 05:26 AM
Location: Kohlberg Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Kohlberg Hall for the report of unusual drawings within a classroom. Matter under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Smoke Alarm

Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2016
Time: 04:14 PM
Location: Wharton Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to a smoke detector activation within Wharton Residence Hall. There was no smoke or fire. It was determined that the detector malfunctioned and Facilities was notified.
Status: Inactive

Dating Violence

Date: Thursday, March 3, 2016
Time: 11:52 AM
Location: College Avenue
Synopsis: Public Safety received a report from the Title IX Coordinator about a possible issue of intimate partner violence involving a Swarthmore student against another Swarthmore student in 2014/2015. Matter being addressed through the Title IX Office.
Status: Title IX Referral

Vehicle Accident

Date: Thursday, March 3, 2016
Time: 10:09 PM
Location: Dupont Science Building Parking Lot
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Dupont Lot for the report of a vehicle accident. There were no injuries.
Status: Open

Medical Response

Date: Friday, March 4, 2016
Time: 02:18 AM
Location: Dana Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Dana Residence Hall for the report of an ill student. The student declined medical attention.
Status: Closed

Power Failure

Date: Friday, March 4, 2016
Time: 10:10 PM
Location: 101 South Chester Road
Synopsis: Public Safety received a report that the power had gone out in 101 S. Chester Road due to a PECO problem. PECO was notified and power was eventually restored.
Status: Closed

Noise Complaint

Date: Friday, March 4, 2016
Time: 10:29 PM
Location: Wharton Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Wharton Residence Hall for the report of loud noise within a student’s room. The student was identified and complied with request to reduce the noise.
Status: Dean’s Referral

Medical Emergency

Date: Sunday, March 6, 2016
Time: 05:42 PM
Location: Lang Performing Arts Center
Synopsis: Public Safety and Swarthmore Police and Ambulance responded to LPAC for an ill individual not affiliated with the college. The individual was transported to the hospital.
Status: Closed

Jacob Demree

Jacob is a freshman from Mount Laurel, NJ, who has loved reading ever since reading Bob Books and writing ever since scribbling notes to his parents and siblings. Trying to see if a quadruple major is possible, he spends his time searching for endnotes, reducing margin sizes, and, of course, reading The Daily Gazette. When he’s not doing any of these things, he enjoys reading non-required materials (and not annotating them), playing guitar, gangsa, piano, or melodica, helping out social justice efforts on campus, and hanging out with friends and family at museums and Sharples. He plans to start planning his program of study before the end of his sophomore year.