SBC Report: March 1, 2015

Oasis

A representative from OASIS, Our Art Spoken in Soul, Swarthmore’s spoken word poetry organization, requested $425. Every year OASIS requests $750. SBC had given the group $350 for Spring Budgeting, and told them to come to a meeting to request the rest. This year, they group needed $775 in total, and requested an extra $25 accordingly. Full funding was proposed and was passed unanimously.

MotherPuckers

MotherPuckers, Swarthmore’s hockey league, requested $480 for a trip to Minnesota. SBC manager Dylan Gerstel ’17 noted that this might be too far for a student van to drive. SBC Chairperson Toby Levy ’16 offered to figure out what vans would be available to go that distance. Funding was proposed and was passed unanimously, although funding may be adjusted depending on the price of transportation.

Terpsichore

Terpsichore, a student-led dance group, asked to transfer $228 from within their accounts from group events funding, moving $48 into student labor and $180 into services. Full funding was proposed and passed unanimously.

Swarthmore Ski Club

Swarthmore Ski Club requested $3,336 to fund a Saturday ski trip to Blue Mountain. The group would like 40 students to attend the trip, with money going towards rentals and lessons for those who do not have experience skiing. Full founding was proposed, and was passed 5-2.

Swarthmore Christian Fellowship

Swarthmore Christian Fellowship (SCF) requested to transfer money from within their accounts. SCF asked to transfer $100 from funding for group supplies to group events and also requested an additional $67 for group events to fund a freshman banquet in April. Full funding was proposed and passed unanimously.

Hong Kong Student Association

Hong Kong Student Association requested $177.63 to fund an all campus Tong-yuen and Tong-sui event. The Association also requested $50 for group events. Both requests for funding were proposed and passed unanimously.

Drama Board

Patrick Ross ’15, co-coordinator of the Drama Board, asked to use the group’s remaining $13,000 to plan a trip into Philly. While the group usually produces four to five shows in a semester, with at least one produced on the mainstage, this year the Drama Board has only had one show each semester, with none appearing on the mainstage. Ross noted that the decrease in the number of shows may be because less people are willing to direct and the Lang Performing Arts Center is difficult to book. The Board noted that anyone would be able to attend their event in Philly. SBC debated about whether or not the trip into Philly should be funded by the SBC because it goes against the precedent of what Drama Board funding is usually used for. No consensus was reached.

General Discussion

SBC members then discussed mentoring for Spring budgeting. SBC members will contact mentees in the coming week, and Spring budgeting will take place on April 10th, 11th and 12th. In addition, applications for the position of SBC Chair and Manager will be sent out in the coming weeks. The position is open to current members of the Committee as well as non-members.