Editorial: Thank You, Bartash

Every year at The Phoenix, editors and writers come and go, editorial policies get revised, and the general character of the paper changes. The one thing that has stayed the same over the past 10 years has been a company the vast majority of the campus has never heard of — our printer Bartash, Inc. Every Wednesday night, Phoenix editors work from 6 p.m. until late in the night to ensure community members can pick up a physical copy of The Phoenix. Bartash’s employees are available 24 hours a day in order to ensure that the paper is uploaded to them correctly, helping us avoid mistakes in layout. From inclement weather to patiently accepting 4 a.m. submissions despite our 12 a.m. deadline, Bartash delivered The Phoenix every week without fail.

Sadly, we received notice that this will be our last issue with Bartash, as the company will be closing effective November 30.

From every member of The Phoenix editorial board past and present, thank you, Bartash. Your hard work and patience have helped us publish a decade of journalism in print.

It’s certainly not news to anyone that the newspaper and magazine industry has rapidly declined in recent years. While many national publications have managed to stay afloat, local publications have suffered severe losses. It doesn’t just stop at publications, however. Printing companies like Bartash also get swept up in the ripple effect of local publications’ low readership. So what can community members like ourselves do to ensure that local publications and small businesses can survive? The answer is simple. Support your local publications.