SBC Report: December 7

multi

Terpsichore

A representative from Terpsichore requested a $33 transfer from group supplies to student labor in order to hire a videographer for their upcoming Wednesday performance. Full funding was nearly immediately proposed, and passed unanimously.

Peripateo

Heitor Santos ‘17 requested $1,000 for Peripateo, Swarthmore’s Christian discourse journal. Recently, the journal unexpectedly lost an advertiser who has bought ad-space in its previous three issues, leaving the group $750 short on printing costs. Santos also explained that the group would like to print more copies of the journal, and have made some adjustments (reducing page count and color pages) to lower the cost slightly. “We can print less issues, but that is such a small difference [in cost],” said Santos. “With a little bit more money, we can print a lot more.”

Peripateo publishes one issue per semester, printing 150 copies. This year, they would like to increase their circulation to 400 copies. “You can’t find any issues of Peripateo anywhere,” Santos said, “because they’re all gone quickly.” Committee member Patrick Han ‘16, also a Peripateo editor, said that this small number means there are only enough copies “for the Christians [on campus] and maybe 15 more students,” and “we don’t want just the Christians to read it.”

Committee member Joshua Wolfsun ‘16 asked how many copies similar publications like Small Craft print per year. It was determined that Small Craft prints 250 copies a semester, at the cost of $2,600. The committee proposed increasing Peripateo’s circulation to 250 rather than 400, which many members considered a very large jump.

SBC Chair Toby Levy ‘16 asked Santos if he had information on how much increasing to 250 copies might cost, but only rough estimates were available. Santos and Han then shared that the issue is due at the printer tomorrow morning, and that they were very against pushing publication until next semester. The committee eventually decided to propose funding based on dollar amounts, rather than number of issues, and heard proposals for an additional $150, $250, and $350. Proposal for $250 passed unanimously, while $350 failed 1-4.

End of Semester Plans

After hearing proposals, SBC discussed their plans for the final days of the semester. This Thursday night is the final night of SBC office hours and Treasurer Appreciation Night, when the committee will be providing free snacks and refreshments.

Allison Hrabar

Allison is double major in Political Science (Honors) and Film and Media Studies. When not working for The Daily Gazette, she cajoles people into watching the The Americans (Wednesdays at 10:00p.m. on FX).