StuGov Report: Ideas and Initiatives

In this meeting, Sun Park ‘16 checked-in with each committee to update the rest of the group about any initiatives or ideas the committee hopes to carry out.

The Student Outreach Committee hopes to update the Tumblr page of StuGov and create a new website over winter break, complete with small descriptive blurbs describing the role and purpose of each committee to keep the student body informed. They also hope to use  different social platforms, like Instagram, to interact with the student body. For example, for GenderFuck they can use hashtags and compete for the best GenderFuck outfit.

The Appointments Committee is planning an Appointments Fair on December 2nd, where different committees have the opportunity to talk about their responsibilities on campus and encourage students to apply for positions.

The Student Life Committee will be organizing a study break session, “Donuts with Deans” in early December for students to drop by and chat with the deans. In addition, they are inviting a comedian hypnotist, Eric Kang, to come and entertain the students to relieve the stress of the end of the semester. To kick off the spring semester, they hope to organize a novelty study break, perhaps something with massages or hot chocolate. In addition to these study breaks, the Student Life committee brought up the idea of a competition between dorms to further engage the student body.

The Environmental Committee will push for the Bike Share program on campus and is also working with Earthlust to unify the recycling stream at Swarthmore and improve the labeling system for trash, recycling, and compost receptacles.

The Community Development Committee hopes to expose students to more issues of cultural identity and notions of diversity. Ideas brought up include diversity lectures which freshman would have a minimum required number of lectures to attend to having a “Diversity Facilitator” comparable to a SAM in each hall. The Development Committee also hopes to help students on financial aid acquire free books.

StuCo will also be getting their own shirts for the first time by December 7th.