Student Events Advisor, Joan Kim

Hello, I’m Joan Kim ’10 and I am running to be your Student Events Advisor.

Serving last year as Campus Life Representative, I was able to learn how the Student Council functions and works with other student groups on campus as well as their ties to the administration.

I sincerely believe that one semester is not enough for a student to learn about all the possibilities about being on council and successfully see through long-term projects and for this position in particular, it is essential to have someone well-versed in campus events as well as Student Council. As someone very involved in student events and with an open-mind, I am eager to finish what feels like an unfinished term with the Student Council.

For the past two years, I have been attending campus events and have helped prepare for events such as the Halloween party while I was on Student Council last year and planned SAC-funded events such as a Paces party and campus “study-breaks.” Most importantly, I have been a loyal attendee of campus events and believe I have a strong notion of what students want to see on campus. While being abroad, I recognized that although I participated in many IC/BCC events and occasional meetings, that I never committed as much as I wish I had. Especially from this semester abroad and encountering the position of being seen as the other in many ways, I feel more of a need and a great interest in participating in the IC/BCC and supporting more events that spark dialogue about particular issues among individuals. With that said, I also understand that as all of our interests are more and more focused as we progress here at Swarthmore and as time grows more limited, that not everyone is able to participate in regular meetings of all student groups they still find to be respectable, important and interesting so I will ensure that the student events are representative of student groups on campus, both in and out of the IC/BCC groups, and also try to consider all views when issues arise at Student Council meetings.

Despite studying abroad this semester, I have done my best to keep up with campus issues through Facebooking friends, reading the Phoenix and Daily Gazette as well as referring to the Student Council minutes. I support delving into recent changes in the college such as employee benefits and student pay scale changes so that the college is accountable for providing adequate explanations to students concerned about the well-being of Swarthmore College, which includes both its student-workers and employees. I also love how students on campus wish to help make decisions along with the college and provide fresh, new ideas. To support this cause, there needs to be a continuation of open communication.

Most of all, I truly believe that I would truly enjoy holding this position and working hard with the rest of the student council and at a greater scale, with other members of the student body to serve the campus. I understand the topic of Student Council elections as of late has grown to be a potentially intense issue. Please send any questions or comments to jkim3 as I am willing to address all concerns or issues and give my opinion on any issues.

1. I worked with Joan last semester — she was one of the most active and friendly members of StuCo.

(regarding paragraph 2) Joan, you're an awesome person — don't sell out or be apologetic for who you are or what you've done.