The Gazette’s Picks

English without non-Germanic Words

Delving into Usenet, one Gazette staffer found this article which ends with this gem:

Today we wield both kind of uncleftish doings in weapons, and kernelish splitting gives us heat and bernstoneness. We hope to do likewise with togethermelting, which would yield an unhemmed wellspring of work for mankindish goodgain.

A Clamp-on Surge Protector

Surge protectors are a common site in Swarthmore dorm rooms. There aren’t enough sockets, and usually some rather expensive gear is hooked up to the grid. Unfortunately, surge protectors are usually awkward things we try to tuck behind desks.

Belkin has come up with a wonderful idea: merge a clamp and a surge protector, to get something that can attach to a desk but still hide out of sight. The question, then, becomes is the clamp worth the $30.00 premium?

Powerful CSS Techniques

A lot of Swatties dabble in web design. This site lists some rather impressive techniques you can use to mimic the effects on some of the internet’s most popular dens of villainy. Create menus, dynamic tables, and even step menus.

Princeton Plans Bridge Year

It seems Princeton University is ahead of Swat once more. The school is planning to offer all incoming freshman a year’s deferral to do a school-organized and supported service project abroad. Princeton expects around 10% of their class to take up this offer.

But they can afford it—Princeton has the highest per-student endowment in the nation.

NYT Cuts 100 Jobs

As journalists, the staff of the Gazette tries to keep an eye on the industry. Imagine our dismay when we saw that The New York Times, the pinnacle of the American newspaper business, is joining its peers in cutting a massive portion of their staff.

Orisinal Flash Games

This site offers a collection of simple but beautiful flash games to suck away all those hours you should actually spend studying.