Editor’s note: This article was initially published in The Daily Gazette, Swarthmore’s online, daily newspaper founded in Fall 1996. As of Fall 2018, the DG has merged with The Phoenix. See the about page to read more about the DG.
Sharples-goers on Valentine’s Day were treated to a warm fire glowing in the fireplace during dinner. Why is this such a rare sight? According to Linda McDougall, Director of Dining Services, it’s because of a lack of firewood availability and having someone tend to the fire. Also, “It seems like it remains ‘special’ when it is used for special occasions and snowy days,” she added. But Swatties have hope—if a snow storm materializes on Friday, McDougall says the fireplace may be lit.