WSRN to open its doors on Monday

After weeks of waiting around, Swarthmore’s DJs will finally be back in the studio on Monday, as WSRN resumes broadcasting after a tumultuous move.

According to General Manager Alexander Flurie ’05, broadcasting usually starts only two weeks into the semester. However, construction in Parrish forced the studio to move from the 5th floor to the 3rd, delaying the schedule. “We had planned on being up by the end of fall break,” admitted Flurie, but further complications with the move created more delays. The problem was mostly one of scheduling. “There are certain people who know what needs to be done, and it was difficult to bring everyone together at the same time,” he said.

The move also resulted in the loss of WSRN’s second studio. “It was a larger space, and cozier for guests,” said Flurie, “so we used it for a lot of talk shows.” The studio was also used as a space to pre-record shows. To compensate, extra mics will be added to the mixers in the main studio, but there’s not much else that can be done.

This semester WSRN has 160 DJs, and just over 100 shows. While the official start of broadcasting is Monday, there will be a special Sunday broadcast on a volunteer basis. Flurie and his “Vestra Culpa” co-host Andrew Abdalian ’06 have tentatively planned to celebrate the opening by bringing Coordinator of Student Activities Jenny Yim onto their show that night at 9:00.

The studio is currently in “working, but not optimal condition,” said Flurie. Features such as the webcast are presently down, but will likely be running by Monday’s start.