SBC Minutes: (April 16, 2017) – SGO Proposals Turned Down

Swat Circus
Swat Circus requested $354.12 for two additional lessons ($300.00 for the two classes and $54.12 for transportation). The intention of these trips is to allow students who have not had an opportunity to attend due to scheduling issues to partake in this experience. One trip would take place during the week of finals and the other during Senior Week. There was a proposal for full funding; the proposal passed unanimously.

Student Government Organization (SGO)
The Student Government Organization requested a total of $85,875.00 for multiple events. However, the committee did not agree to fund any of the following requests made by SGO yet. The Committee members wanted greater detail and itemization, and the SGO representative did not defend the claim that the following numbers are arbitrary. In addition, SBC does not have sufficient funds to support all of the requested events. The requested events are listed below:
1) $10,000.00 would go toward food trucks at Worthstock. The Office of Student Engagement is not sponsoring food trucks at this year’s Worthstock. The Committee decided against funding these food trucks as a matter of precedence.

2) $50,000.00 for the purposes of bringing a “major performer” to Worthstock in addition to the OSE-scheduled performer. The Committee decided against funding a “major performer.”

3) $2000.00 would go toward hosting study breaks throughout reading week and finals. The Committee will consider this proposal if SGO presents an itemized list of food and supplies.

4) $700.00 would go toward purchasing coloring books and colored pencils to place around campus as part of SGO’s Mental Health and Wellness Initiative. The Committee will consider this proposal if SGO presents an itemized list presenting the costs of coloring books and pencils.

5) $1000.00 would fund four events featuring discussion on mental health and wellness as part of the aforementioned Initiative. The Committee will consider this proposal if SGO presents an itemized proposal.

6) $3600.00 for 300 Independence Passes for students to go into Philadelphia. The Committee decided against funding the Passes.

7) $500.00 for food at two forums with administration, faculty, and students – one forum would focus on divestment, and the second forum would discuss the “Future of the Student Experience at Swarthmore.” The Committee will consider this proposal if SGO presents an itemized proposal.

8) $2000.00 to bring a therapy dog to campus at the end of year as part of the Mental Health and Wellness Initiative. The Committee decided against funding this proposal.

9) $700.00 for a trained meditation guru who would lead a seminar on the practice of meditation, again as part of the Mental Health and Wellness Initiative. The Committee decided against funding this proposal.

10) $15,000 for a “block party” during reading week or finals with “food trucks, games, and caricature drawing, and similar things” as written in the SGO representative’s proposal. The Committee will consider this proposal if SGO presents an itemized proposal.

11) $175.00 to supplement the “Free Pads for Undergrads” project. The Committee decided against funding this proposal as the program is already a Roosevelt @ Swarthmore initiative.

12) $200.00 for chess sets, checkers, and board games for use in Essie Mae’s. The Committee will consider this proposal if SGO presents an itemized list.