$10,000 for Affinity Group Events to bypass SBC, Senate Changes – SGO Report (April 24)

sgo swarthmore

On Sunday, Swarthmore Student Government (SGO) held its final Executive Board Meeting in Parrish Parlors at 7:40 p.m. SGO voted on constitutional amendments and reported final committee updates.

Committees Finalize Project Details

Each committee has begun to finalize last details and prepare the transition for the next group of SGO members.

Chair of Diversity Salman Safir ’16 said that his committee is in the process of applying for an affinity group grant of $10,000 from the Lang Center for Civic and Social Responsibility. The grant will be used to support on-campus affinity groups in social justice events and projects without having the groups request SBC funding.

Chair of Internal Affairs Blake Oetting ’18 reported that his committee has finished conducting all interviews and that the Space Matters Committee is comprised of ten students.

Chair of Student Life Policy Kimberly Rosa ’18 and her committee will host one final study break with Judy’s Ice Cream on Tuesday, May 3.

Committee Members Unanimously Approve Amendments to Constitution

SGO committee chairs voted on amendments on the Student Senate, Chartering, and Student Organization Committee sections of the SGO Constitution. All members affirmed the revisions.

One change to the Student Senate section is that affinity group student representatives will now be selected through the nomination from SGO committee members, as compared to the previous process where representatives were designated by the affinity groups. The total number of senators will be undetermined, a change from the current cap of 22.

The original and revised constitutional amendments can be found here.

The meeting was convened at 8:00 P.M.

A copy of the meeting’s minutes can be found on the SGO website.

Min Zhong

Min covers news regarding the Swarthmore Government Organization for The Daily Gazette. Min is interested in finance and anthropology, and any other topics that seek to understand how and why human beings make the choices they do. At Swarthmore, Min is involved in Swat Tank, and an investment club. Min only eats gala apples, shares a birthday date with John F. Kennedy, and is a Jack Kent Cooke Scholar from Arlington, VA. Min enjoys reading in her free time, and prefers savory over sweet.