$5.5k for Food Trucks, No Live Music Due to Battle of the Bands [SGO Report 4/10]

sgo swarthmore

On Sunday, Swarthmore Student Government (SGO) held an Executive Board Meeting in Parrish Parlors at 7:10 P.M. At the meeting, the executive board finalized the details for SGO Week events.

SGO Week Events Finalized

SGO Week will be held from April 11 – April 15. The week is designed to help the student body become more familiar with SGO and its mission. The planned events include a petting zoo on Monday, food trucks, and student performances staggered throughout the week.

SGO is allocating $5,500 from its budget for food trucks. The total cost and menu is being finalized.

SGO will host an all-campus SGO election interest meeting on Wednesday evening from 8:30 – 9:00 P.M. Following the open meeting, SGO executive board members will lead a more formal discussion with different affinity groups on campus about SGO’s purpose and goals. They will hold the meeting in the Keith room in the Lang Center from 9:00 – 10:00 P.M.

Originally, SGO had planned to have live music performed by campus music groups and bands, but details may change due to scheduling conflicts.

Chair of Visual and Performing Arts Li Tian ’18 said, “None of the student bands will be able to perform [for SGO Week events] because of Battle of the Bands. Sixteen Feet won’t be able to perform because of their performance on Friday night, and some of the a capella groups have their practices during our events.”

Diversity and Visual and Performing Arts Committees to Make Amendments

The Diversity and the Visual and Performing Arts committees are making amendments to their committee structures.

“We are in the process of talking to partners in terms of increasing the size of the committee to include more members like Title IX,” Chair of Diversity Salman Safir ’16 said.

The Visual and Performing Arts committee is considering including more arts group leaders into the committee to promote more direct interactions between SGO and the art groups.

“We are discussing directly appointing arts group leaders to be on the committee so that we have more direct contact with the people we’re serving,” Tian said.

The committee is considering whether these appointed art group members would have the same voting rights as the appointed SGO leaders.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 P.M.

A copy of the meeting’s minutes can be found here: http://sgo.swarthmore.edu/minutes/

Min Zhong

Min covers news regarding the Swarthmore Government Organization for The Daily Gazette. Min is interested in finance and anthropology, and any other topics that seek to understand how and why human beings make the choices they do. At Swarthmore, Min is involved in Swat Tank, and an investment club. Min only eats gala apples, shares a birthday date with John F. Kennedy, and is a Jack Kent Cooke Scholar from Arlington, VA. Min enjoys reading in her free time, and prefers savory over sweet.