/

Swatter: February 25-March 3

September, Swatter
The Swatter

Criminal Mischief

Date: Monday, February 25
Time:  8:10 a.m.
Location: Magill Walk
Synopsis: A female resident student reported damage to property that was located at the exterior stairs of Parrish Hall. The value of the item is unknown at this time.
Status: Inactive

Harassment by Communication

Date: Monday, February 25
Time: 10:48 a.m.
Location: Swarthmore College
Synopsis: A female student reported being harassed online by an unknown individual. Matter under  investigation.
Status: Investigation

Burglary/Forcible Entry

Date: Monday, February 25
Time: 11:55 a.m.
Location: Worth Residence Hall
Synopsis: Facilities reported an incident of a broken lock and a door jam extremely damaged within a residence hall.  Per the resident, entry into the room did not seem to have occurred. The resident did not report any items stolen from the residence and the value of the damage is unknown at this time.
Status: Inactive

Burglary/Forcible Entry

Date: Tuesday, February 26
Time:  10:53 a.m.
Location: 737 Harvard Avenue
Synopsis: Maintenance contacted  Public Safety to report that a vacant college-owned house was forcibly broken into and vandalized. The cost of the damage is unknown at this time. Suspects have been identified by the Swarthmore Police Department.
Status: Investigation

Medical Response

Date: Tuesday, February 26
Time:  2:45 p.m.
Location: Clothier Hall Snack  Bar
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to a medical call for a staff member. The individual was evaluated and refused any further treatment. No further action at this time.
Status: Cleared

Marijuana Possession

Date: Tuesday, February 26
Time:  4:44 p.m.
Location: Worth Residence Hall
Synopsis: A male resident student was in possession of a small amount of marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia.
Status: Dean’s Referral

Medical Emergency

Date: Thursday, February 28
Time: 1:35 a.m.
Location: Worth Health Center
Synopsis: An ambulance was requested for a student by Worth Health Center for transportation to the hospital for evaluation and treatment. Public Safety responded.
Status: Cleared

Theft/interior/building

Date: Friday, March 1
Time: 1:17 p.m.
Location: Wharton Residence Hall
Synopsis: A student group  reported the theft of a prop that was used  for a social event on campus. The owner reported on March 2 that the item was returned.
Status: Found by student

Forcible Fondling

Date: Friday, March 1
Time: 6:09 p.m.
Location: Clothier Hall
Synopsis: The Title IX Coordinator reported receiving a report from a female student being forcibly fondled by an unknown male while attending a party on campus.
Status: Investigation

Ethnic Intimidation, Harassment/Stalking, Simple Assault/Not Aggravated

Date: Thursday, February 28th
Time: 8:33 a.m.
Location: Benjamin West House
Synopsis:  A staff member reported that a male resident student reported being verbally assaulted by another male resident student on the basis of his sexual orientation. There is no additional information about the date, location or suspect at this time. The incident is currently under investigation by the Title IX Coordinator.
Status: Investigation

Fire Alarm

Date: Friday, March 1
Time: 9:33 p.m.
Location: Sharples Dining Hall
Synopsis: A fire alarm was received from within Sharples Dining Hall. The cleaning crew evacuated the building. Public Safety responded and reset the alarm. The alarm was triggered by a bunch of balloons that were up on the ceiling.
Status: Cleared

Investigation Person(s)

Date: Saturday, March 2
Time: 1:59 a.m.
Location: Willets Residence Hall
Synopsis: A public Safety Officer found a student sleeping in a common area on the second floor of Willets.
Status: Cleared

Fire Alarm

Date: Saturday, March 2
Time: 4:53 a.m.
Location: Sharples Dining Hall
Synopsis: A fire alarm was received from within Sharples Dining Hall. Public Safety responded and found the cause to be balloons setting off the beam detector.
Status: Cleared

Theft/ Exterior

Date: Friday, March 1
Time: 5:58 p.m.
Location: Delta Upsilon Fraternity House
Synopsis: A flag belonging to the Alumni Affairs department was found hanging outside of the DU Fraternity House.
Status: Dean’s Referral

Fire Alarm

Date: Saturday, March 2
Time: 8:37 p.m.
Location: Wharton Residence Hall
Synopsis: A fire alarm was activated within Wharton Residence Hall. Public Safety Officers responded and found no signs of smoke or fire. The cause of the alarm was unfounded. The alarm was reset without incident.  
Status: Cleared

Fire Alarm

Date: Saturday, March 2
Time: 11:40 p.m.
Location: Palmer Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to a fire alarm within the Palmer/Pittinger Residence Hall. There was no sign of smoke or fire but the cause of the alarm was determined to be a falsely discharged fire extinguisher. The area was ventilated and the alarm panel was reset. The matter is under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Alcohol Intoxication 

Date: Sunday, March 3
Time: 12:31 a.m.
Location: Clothier Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety Officers responded to the report of a sick student. Upon arrival, they found that the individual was intoxicated. After further evaluation, they determined that the individual needed to be transported to the hospital for further treatment and evaluation. Public Safety requested an ambulance and the student was transported to the hospital without incident. The student was cited by Swarthmore Police for under-age drinking.
Status: Cleared/arrest

Alcohol Intoxication

Date: Sunday, March 3
Time: 1:22 a.m.
Location: Heat Plant
Synopsis: Public Safety and Swarthmore Police Officers observed several individuals, later identified as Swarthmore students, who were visibly intoxicated. Upon further investigation, one of the students required additional medical treatment and was ultimately transported to the hospital via ambulance for alcohol intoxication. Two female students and one male student were cited for under-age drinking by the Swarthmore Police.
Status: Cleared/Arrest

Vandalism

Date: Sunday, March 3
Time: 10:11 a.m.
Location: Parrish Hall
Synopsis: The contents of six unlocked lockers were removed and scattered on the floor by these lockers. No damage to property was observed. At the time of this report, responsible individual(s) are unknown and it has not been determined at whether any items were stolen. The matter is under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Fire Alarm

Date: Sunday, March 3
Time: 11:19 p.m.
Location: #3 and #5 Whittier Place
Synopsis: Public Safety Officers received a fire alarm from within Whittier Place. Upon arrival, the cause of the alarm was determined to be a toilet leaking into the basement. The water was shut off and the alarm was reset.
Status: Cleared

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that a fire alarm in Sharples was caused by “balloons setting off the bean detector.” In fact, the balloons set off the “beam detector.” Granted, neither explanation makes any sense.

1. “Marijuana Possession

Date: Tuesday, February 26
    Time: 4:44 p.m.
    Location: Worth Residence Hall
    Synopsis: A male resident student was in possession of a small amount of marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia.
    Status: Dean’s Referral”

Since when does Public Safety give a fuck?

• Of course! Swarthmore students are world-renowned in their respect for the law, particularly in cannabis restriction and underage drinking.

2. The beam detectors are infrared lasers that line the ceilings of several buildings on campus. The lasers bounce off a mirror on the other side of the room and come back to hit a detector, the idea being that if the room fills with smoke the laser beam will be broken. Unfortunately, the beam is sometimes broken by balloons.

Nevertheless I somehow find it really cool that we detect smoke with giant ceiling laser beams.

3. When I got harassed online by a stranger the admin was so condescending, as if it didn’t matter. I’m glad a slightly bigger fuck is given now.

• when i got harassed online and in person by a swattie they didn’t seem to give two fucks either. they meaning 4/5 of the admin i met with. westphal was the least horrible.