StuCo Platforms: Secretary: Sun Park ’16

Hello, my name is Sun Park and I am running for the position of Student Council Secretary. With this position, I hope to play two very important roles: 1) participate in StuCo to create a better atmosphere for students and 2) increase awareness and publicity on StuCo’s activities.

First of all, I wish to join StuCo because I believe that I have ideas that can make our lives better. Future StuCo initiatives that I hope accomplish if elected is to have more study breaks that involve free stuff (because I know that is the only way to convince you to come!). Besides the current initiatives in the “Small Steps” campaign, I want to have puppy study breaks and “Pi(e) Two Ways” where you can get math, chemistry, and economics tutoring during finals week with the clinicians while eating pie. In addition, I would like to hold a Kindergarten Field Day on Mertz field in the spring with Tug-O-War and relays to win prizes and get free t-shirts. Let’s also have free massages on Parrish Beach more often and trail-mix making breaks in McCabe. I am willing to also listen to your ideas and create a better, less stressed environment. After all, who deserves it more than us?

Second of all, I think that there are a lot of great initiatives currently under discussion that could make everyone’s lives better (ie: SEPTA tokens to go into the city, charter reform). I also believe that there is a lack of accountability because no one really understands what StuCo does or is doing.

As a result of this, if elected, I will push for more publicity on StuCo’s initiatives. I hope to maintain the StuCo website as well as StuCo’s Facebook account with easy to access and up to date meeting notes. While there are notes available currently, they are not organized in a user-friendly manner, causing confusion or a tendentious belief that there is no meeting notes. Finally, I propose the creation of one central hub website that has all the committee (like SAC or Forum for Free Speech) as well as StuCo information. The disorganization of information has made the process of planning an event or making an organization extremely dysfunctional.  With one central website with all the committee information, it will make it easier for Swarthmore students to do what they do best: engage.

Lastly, I want to reaffirm my commitment. I am willing to put in the work and I am eager to do something.

Let’s have a great year together.

Thank you so much for reading,

Sun Park