StuCo Elections: Campus Life Representative: Catherine Kelley ’14

I’m Catherine Kelley ’14, and I’m running for Student Groups Advisor. Since my freshman year, I’ve been on the Movie Committee, a committee that focuses on acquiring licenses for the various films and movies shown on campus. Through being the Movie Committee Coordinator the fall of 2012, I was able to closely work with various student groups and administrators to screen movies as well as with the Student Budget Committee to acquire the necessary funding. One example of this collaboration was through helping fund last year’s Mosquita y Mari event with ENLACE. Through these experiences I believe I have built the skills necessary to not only be a leader on campus but to be a great advisor for groups needing charters, general guidance, funding, or simply new ideas to get new members.

I hate to make empty promises and I’m sure that you hate to hear them. That is why I will not write about my own initiatives: I want to hear what student groups think would be helpful for them rather than upset a system that is already working. As Student Groups Advisor, student groups will be my priority and any initiatives I undertake should arise from carefully tuning into the needs of new and old groups. Of course I will also actively work on Student Council initiatives, such as reevaluating committee structures and expanding the Philadelphia Access Program, a program I personally love.

Please consider me for Student Groups Advisor and thank you for reading this! The Student Groups Advisor on Student Council should be a person who is approachable, a great listener, organized and with the desire to help others, especially Swarthmore students. That person sounds like me, and if you’d like to find out more, don’t hesitate to email me.