StuCo Platforms: Campus Life Representative: Shaina Lu ’16

Hi all, my name is Shaina Lu (Class of 2016), and I would like to serve you as the Student Council Campus Life Representative for the Fall 2013 – Spring 2014 term.

Last semester I served on the Dining Services working group as a part of the Student Senate. I worked closely with other student leaders including the chair of the Dining Services Committee. We compared the dining services of many peer institutions and came up with a proposal that was presented to Swarthmore dining services and the external dining services review group. Among the changes we suggested were the later Sharples hours and increased meal equivalences at Essie’s we all enjoy this semester. Furthermore, in high school I served on student council for four years culminating as corresponding secretary my senior year. Through these experiences, I have learned what it takes for student government to run efficiently and effectively. I also understand what it means to take on additional responsibility for your peers.

If elected, I vow to work closely with your current Student Council officers and use my pervious leadership experience to serve as your Campus Life Representative. Some of Student Council’s current projects that I am eager to help with are the expansion of the Philadelphia Access Program providing SEPTA tickets to students and the expansion of the student government structure that was started with the creation of the senate. I also believe that discussion on College policies is incredibly important and am glad that Student Council is taking the lead on holding forums for such discussions.

The most important task as a Campus Life Representative is maintaining communication between the student body, the council, and college administration. I believe I am especially apt for this job since I identify with various groups on campus. At the beginning of my Swarthmore experience was the honor to take part in the Tri-Co College Summer Institute. Here, while tackling many difficult issues surrounding diversity, I was able to work along side many strong leaders who are now involved in all aspects of campus. Additionally as a part of the Track and Field team and Kappa Alpha Theta, I have befriended students from all four years with varying Swarthmore experiences. Conversations with teammates and sisters have allowed me to privy additional varying perspectives on multiple aspects of campus.

Finally, for the Class of 2017 orientation, I worked closely with your current Campus Life Representative Jason Heo as an RA/CA team. I believe our strong teamwork established here will be beneficial if I am elected to be your second Campus Life Representative this fall. I vow to devote my time and effort to serve to the best of my abilities as your Campus Life Representative.