Searching through racks for hidden treasures at Sophisticated Seconds

Sophisticated Seconds is a small consignment shop located right on South Street which offers second hand clothing, accessories and home goods for low and reasonable prices. There is also a second location on Sansom Street closer to Rittenhouse Square.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Price: $$
2204 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146
215.546.0784

During a bus trip to South Street, my friend (and partner in crime) and I grew impatient. After catching a glimpse of a small consignment store right on our bus route, we knew exactly what we had to do. I pressed the stop request, and within thirty seconds we were off the bus and hustling down the streets to get to our new destination.

Sophisticated Seconds offers a lot of merchandise for female customers. Upon entering, you are immediately greeted by home décor which offers a myriad of items from candle sticks to jewelry boxes, and that can easily be placed in a dorm to liven up the room. Moreover, you are placed in front of a rack of jackets which vary in style and color. Racks are separated by size to avoid the inevitable disappointment following the realization that something you really like is two sizes too large or small.

Along the sides of the shop, you have racks filled with sweaters, long sleeve tops and bottoms. There are a couple of racks for men’s clothing, but they contain few note-worthy items. In the rear, there are linens and pajamas and slips. In small niches throughout the store, you can spot displays of handbags and shoes, all placed together according to color patterns.

Although Sophisticated Seconds promises to provide discounts according to the color of the tag on certain items, I did not encounter many sale items during my trip. Some items, however, were permanently marked down, but these, from what I observed, only included solid colored slips.

One of the things that I liked the most was the fact that there were a few unexpected items found here that you rarely see at most consignment stores this small such as packaged tights, gloves with tags still in tact, and small jeweled clutches.

One of the downfalls to this shop is that you should not come with the expectation to find anything specific. Like any other thrift and consignment shops, Sophisticated Seconds cannot guarantee to have some version of a plain white tee you desperately need or a pair of black booties in your size.

If you do decide to go, be sure not to rush so that you don’t miss out on anything. While I rummaged through the racks, I did make a few awesome finds. I encountered a Vince cashmere sweater for $27 which would normally be priced for over $100. There was also a Rebecca Taylor two-piece suit ($40) in mint condition, typically around $250.

The most surprising thing for me was that the jewelry was relatively expensive. There were few options under $8, which caught me off guard since I always see these kinds of shops as an ideal place for taking advantage of cheap jewelry. I was not a huge fan of the selection as I saw that very few pieces could be for everyday use.

Overall, I was content with what I encountered. During this trip, I bought a simple wired bronze colored headband ($8) that I can use with pretty much anything, a sequined black button-down sleeveless top from Tahari ($21) and a plain, black silk top ($2) which was an amazing bargain. All these items were in perfect condition, so I could not have asked for more. I look forward to one day stumbling upon Sophisticated Seconds again, to be stunned once again by the treasures I can find in this small shop.