/

Financial Policy Representative, Eugene Prymak ’13

How can I effect change in my environment, create a means by which my peers can achieve their goals, and elevate Swarthmore to the next level? These questions are constantly on my mind, and I am always searching for ways to improve both myself and the world around me. When I discovered that there were available Student Council positions, I believe I found a potential answer to all of these questions. That is why I wish to announce that I am now seeking your vote in order to become the Student Council Financial Policy Representative for the 2011-2012 academic year.

As your Student Council Financial Policy Representative, my duties will be twofold. First and foremost, I will be able to represent you as a member of Student Council. While my position will primarily focus on financial and budget issues, it will also allow me bring up any concerns, suggestions, or proposals you might have as a member of the Swarthmore College community. I encourage anyone and everyone to speak with me or send me an email regarding anything about the college they wish to change and improve; I can personally promise you that I will address your ideas and bring them up at our weekly StuCo meetings. Together, we can make all of our hopes and dreams about the college we attend into a reality and transform Swarthmore into the absolute penultimate educational institution.

Secondly, as your Financial Policy Representative, I will regularly attend College Budget Committee meetings, in which I will be able to express your concerns, suggestions, and proposals once again. These meetings will allow me to gain a better understanding of our college’s financial policies and proceedings, and while I do respect the confidentiality of any information disclosed in these meetings, I do still intend to create a positive feedback loop between students and the College Budget Committee. In other words, my goal is that students will convey their ideas to the College Budget Committee through me, and in return the College Budget Committee will respond to these issues.  These responses, in addition to any other information deemed important for the student body to know, will be posted on my personal Student Council Financial Policy Representative blog. This blog will not only be updated with important information regarding financial and budget issues at Swarthmore, but it will also provide a means by which you, my fellow peers, can reach me.

As a junior here at Swarthmore, I personally feel that I have a pretty solid working knowledge concerning how things here at the college work, particularly when it comes to financial and budget issues. I have served as treasurer of two student groups, and this has undoubtedly aided in my pursuit to understand how a budget operates and the intricacies of maintaining a balanced budget. In addition, during my past two years, I have been working to create the Swarthmore Entrepreneurship Club on campus. This year, it is finally up and running, with opportunities to expand, effect change on the campus of Swarthmore, in addition to the world beyond, and further educate students of Swarthmore about entrepreneurship, whether it be financial, social, or political. Finally, I have read several books concerning the economy and how individuals and institutions can protect themselves and profit in the next several years, and thus, I will make absolutely sure that our very own Swarthmore College will still not only be in excellent shape in the future but also perpetually progressing.

In light of my experiences and my intense desire to help Swarthmore in any way I can, I ask that you vote Eugene Prymak for Student Council Financial Policy Representative. Only together can we achieve our goals and shape the future of Swarthmore.