College begins search for new Public Safety Director

The college just needs to choose two students to serve on the search committee for a new Public Safety Director before it can begin screening applicants. Vice President for Facilities and Service Stu Hain says he hopes to begin reviewing applications with a full committee by the end of the month.

Student Council is currently working on finding two student representatives to serve on the committee. Once the committee is complete, Hain, who is chairing the committee, says they will begin their selection process and begin writing an official job description detailing the opportunities, challenges and qualities necessary to the position.

They hope to have selected a final round of candidates—most likely three—to bring to campus next semester for the campus community to meet. After that, the committee will select one candidate to hire, who will finally be approved by Hain.

“In the end the hire is my hire, but I will certainly hope that we will come to a consensus as a committee about who to choose,” Hain said.

In the meantime, Captain Herb Barron has stepped up to serve as Interim Director of Public Safety.

“Somebody has to keep the patrol moving forward, the incidents properly logged … a basic cohesiveness until the big chair is [permanently] filled,” Barron said, who also said he may apply for the position himself.

Barron began serving as Interim Director two weeks ago, following the retirement of former Director Owen Redgrave; Redgrave worked at the college for more than 30 years, 25 of which were as the Director of Public Safety.

So far the committee is made up of Dean of Students Liz Braun, Associate Vice President for Planning Garikai Campbell, Student Health Services Director Beth Kotarski, Maintenance Director Ralph Thayer, and Library Access and Lending Services Supervisor Alison Masterpasqua.

The college is accepting applications for the directorship until October 31.

For the complete job advertisement, click here.

1. As Stu Hain mentioned, for all of those interested in applying to be on the Search Committee keep your eyes peeled because this week (tomorrow or Thursday) the application will be sent out! If you have any further questions e-mail gcapone1.