Plant Picks: How well do you know the arboretum?

This year the Daily Gazette is beginning a new feature, Plant Picks by Myles Louis Dakan. Along with the Weekend Roundup, Swarthmore students can take advantage of tips on seasonally beautiful places to study outside. Each week a clue will give one astute reader the chance to appear pictured in that place next week. Get your five minutes of fame while becoming more familiar with the arboretum Swat calls home!

Scott_arboretum_office_first_Plant_PickThe familiar offices of the Scott Arboretum

The Scott Arboretum is named for its founder, Arthur Hoyt Scott, class of 1895. The original mission statement reads, “The endowment fund to establish the Scott Arboretum has been given to Swarthmore College to hold in trust and to use for the encouragement of horticulture in its broadest sense. The founders have wished to make possible a dream of Mr. Scott’s to help horticulture by visual demonstration. They have believed that the dream can be best realized by the planting in a public place of such trees, shrubs, and flowers as can be used by people of average means living in the Philadelphia suburban area.” From this, the college and arboretum grew from a place with “but two trees” to the beautiful home we share today.

This week’s clue reads: Here is a place always associated with Graduation but not First Collection; go here at night to find a Blushing Knockout.

Send all responses to myles [d o t] dakan [a t] gmail [d o t] com.