Student Council Report; Elisha Ann wins run-off election

Elisha Ann ’08 won the run-off election for Educational Policy Representative with 294 votes, with Andrew Quinton ’08 receiving 243 votes and 128 expressing No Preference.

Two seniors came to Student Council to appeal the decision of Parking Committee not to give them spots. Slightly over 100 parking spots are available on campus. Students with medical needs receive preference, but there are currently no written criteria. Both of these students expected to receive spots because of seniority, but there were an overwhelming amount of applications this year and as a result many seniors did not receive spots.

The student chair of Parking Committee is currently formulating and finalizing the criteria, and the applications of the students in question will be re-reviewed by Parking Committee. Council expects to have a clear set of criteria for Parking Committee by the end next year.

SBC also came to discuss an attempted appeal of a SAC receipt for a party. A student hosting a party turned in a receipt with a blacked-out item. Students are not allowed to turn in receipts with blacked-out items, because that would make it possible to use other people’s receipts and then buy alcohol with the money; if students purchase party supplies and personal items on the same trip they are expected to get separate receipts. Although the specific infraction was innocuous, Student Council ruled that they could not change the rules for one person and upheld SBC’s decision to reject the receipt.

Newly elected members of Council attended this meeting, and at the end new and old members discussed ways to reach out to IC/BCC communities in the future. Among other things, Student Council is discussing plans to have an outside organization lead them in an ally-building workshop prior to next semester.