Weekend Roundup: Sager Symposium, Bach’s birthday, Walk for Water, and more…

This weekend, there are a goodly number of options on and off campus that you can participate in to get involved in something a little bit different. Among the alliterative adventures available are Sager Symposium, Bach’s birthday, and the Walk for Water.

Among Sager events, today at 4:30 the drag king group Diablos will be holding a workshop and at 9:30 a performance in the Frear. From 2-4 the Kitao will be open, showing student submissions for the theme “Love, Sex, and Everything In Between.”

Movie-wise, part of the Sager Symposium lineup is the documentary “No!” an award winning film focusing on the testimonies of rape victims, at 7 pm in LPAC. Also tonight, SWIL is putting on “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” at midnight in Sci 101. Meanwhile, Movie Committee will be putting on “Dream Girls” at 7 pm Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in Sci 101.

Interested in escaping campus for a bit? In honor of Bach’s Birthday, the city of Philadelphia has had a series of different performances, parties, and events. Among those of interest are a post concert organ recital at the Kimmel Center on Friday, the Stretto Youth Chamber Orchestra at the German Society of Philadelphia on Saturday, The Philadelphia Bach Festival Orchestra at St Mark’s Church (also Saturday), and a Philomel Performance at St. Martin’s in the Fields on Sunday. For the truly die-hard/those-hoping-to-regress-to-some-unlikely-time-in-their-youth, there is a birthday party replete with cake and coloring books at the Chestnut Hill Presbyterian Church on Sunday morning.

The Kimmel Center is presenting Loreena McKennitt, an eclectic Celtic songstress at the Academy of Music on Sunday night, promoting her new album “An Ancient Muse.” On Saturday night at the Forrest Theater, a group of dancers from the Philadelphia Ballet will be performing in “Shut Up and Dance!” benefiting MANNA, a non-profit which delivers food and aid to local people living with HIV/AIDs, cancer, and other life-threatening diseases.

For those hoping to aid a cause but a little shorter on cash, consider joining Saturday afternoon’s Walk for Water, starting at noon (registration is at 11:30) on Saturday in Love Park and carrying on for two and half miles to World Cafe Live for a celebratory performance. The event, with participants across the country, is designed as a reminder of the hundreds of women and children who must walk an average of three miles daily to access drinking water.