NCAAs-bound runner Nyika Corbett ’10

Garnet freshman super-runner Nyika Corbett recently qualified for this Saturday’s NCAA Division III Women’s Cross Country Championships. The Gazette sat down with Corbett
and discussed everything from chasing down deer to the greatness of one Peter Carroll.

DG: When did you first start running and what has driven you in the sport?
NC: Well, I have two older brothers, so it was survival of the fittest–you know? I ran. Additionally, I grew up on a farm, so we would run the hills to gather our
livestock. By the time I started running competitively, I ran for love, the freedom, the way everything makes sense when you’re running hard enough, the way you are
completely numb after a long run in the winter rain…yeah…I still love to run.

DG: Do you have any pre-race rituals or superstitions?
NC: At Swat we have more of a post-race tradition of blasting Boom Boom Boom by the Outhere Brothers- Jock Jams II- holler Feeney!

DG: What’s the craziest thing you have ever done on a run?
NC: My friends and I had a tradition of chasing a deer down after cross-country season when we were in middle school.

DG: Who has influenced your running the most? Do you have any running
heroes?
NC: Influenced me the most- my two older brothers for sure. They rock! Also my high school coach Pat Towne- one the most inspirational people ever. And one of my best
friends Chris Platano. IÕve been influenced quite a bit.

Heroes… plenty of them… including one of Oregon’s finest: Pre.

DG: You’re from Oregon… what’s the running like in Oregon?
NC: Beautiful. And the running community in Oregon is the best family ever (well besides Swat of course).

DG: How has your life at Swarthmore been so far?
NC: Crazy-busy, but in a good way. I have met some of the most amazing people, the cross country team is wonderful, and my hall is the coolest ever.

DG: What’s playing on your iPod right now?
NC: Sensi by Long Beach Dub All Stars.

DG: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
NC: Right now… home. Because home is wonderful.

DG: Do you plan to run track?
NC: Yeah!

DG: Anything else you want to add?
NC: We had the greatest team ever this year- huge thanks to our seniors! Pam, Melina, and Jen…they led us well. Everyone–the guys and the girls–made Swat feel like
home right away. And Coach Pete is wonderful! If anyone is thinking about running here (Ilya) they should!