Weekend roundup

One need look no farther than Swarthmore’s own beautiful campus this weekend if you happen to be interested in some cultural fare or just plain old entertainment. In addition to the usual smattering of parties, Swarthmore theatrical performances will continue with “Oleanna,” which premieres tonight at 8 pm in Hicks Mural Room.

“Oleanna,” starring Garth Griffin, ’09, and Jessie Bear, ’09, directed by Mark Dlugash, ’08, offers an interesting opportunity to evaluate college life. The play by controversial playwright David Mamet questions many of the conventions of higher education as well as questions about gender politics. It will be performed on Saturday at 3 and 8 as well as on Sunday at 8 pm.

“Oleanna” will by no means be alone in terms of arts opportunities this weekend. Saturday at 8 will also be the starting time for “Boy Meets Tractor”‘s latest performance as well as the much anticipated Cooper sponsored performance by the professional a cappella group, “Blue Jupiter.” Round off the evening by attending Olde Club at 9 to hear “The Rashied Ali Quintet,” featuring Rashied Ali of Coltrane, “The Abraham Lincoln Brigade” jazz group, and Swatties Caleb Ward ’07, Mark Loria ’08, and Dan Perelstein ’09.

Finally, for those of you still itching to get off campus, consider taking the chance to observe gorgeous fall foliage in Fairmount Park, or soak up some history by attending the free opening and celebration of a special exhibit on Ancient Egypt at Penn’s Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology on Sunday. Or, if you’re in the mood for something completely different, consider the Kimmel Center’s “Tango Fire” dance performance this weekend, currently touted as “Sex on legs.”