Weekend roundup: The Civilians and the Zoo

Are you going to be outside the library this weekend? Perhaps not. Here are some tips to give your specs or to think about when you realize that you spend more time asleep in McCabe than you do in your own room.

New York-based cabaret theater group The Civilians, whose work was called “a merrily unserious, vaudevillian romp through the anxious chatter of contemporary America” by the New York Times, come to Penn’s Annenberg Center this weekend, bringing their unique variety of political theater. They describe their process as original work “derived from investigations into the world beyond the theater.” So it’s like that segment on late-night TV when the sidekick asks random people about American history? Well, maybe. We don’t know. Why don’t you go and find out? The current show is entitled “Nobody’s Lunch,” and, according to the group, considers the question, “How do we know what we know when everyone in power seems to be lying?” There are discounted student tickets; see http://www.pennpresents.org for more information.

Did you know that there’s a Philadelphia Zoo? We didn’t either, but there is, and it’s not too hard to get to at 3400 Girard Avenue, north of Penn. They celebrate Earth Day this weekend with exhibits on conservation, or you can just gawk at the cheetahs, giraffes, polar bears, elephants, and other large and small creatures. Try to think of which one most reminds you of your freshman year roommate. Or your spec.