Weekend Roundup: Wyeth and Franz Ferdinand (the band, that is)

Need something to take your parents to? Tell them you’re stuck here all the time and need to get off campus. That should include a nice dinner, of course.

If you or your parents are arty types, head to the Philadelphia Museum of Art at the end of the Ben Franklin Parkway (hint: it’s the really big building with lots of columns) for the new Andrew Wyeth exhibit, entitled “Memory & Magic.” The exhibit collects paintings from all stages of the American painter’s long career. Though associated with realists like Eakins and Homer, Wyeth transcended representation, transforming objects “metaphorically into portraits of friends, family, and even the artist himself,” according to the museum’s website. The museum is open from 10 to 5, and until 8:45 on Fridays.

OK, we’re going to try to recommend a non-classical concert here, so bear with us. On Saturday night, the very hip (or so we hear) bands Franz Ferdinand and Death Cab for Cutie will be playing at the Tweeter Center in nearby Camden, New Jersey (we almost went to see Franz Ferdinand last summer in Budapest, but mysteriously ended up at the opera instead). The combination of accents from the Scottish indie rock band and the Washington indie rock band could be interested. We hear tickets are a bit tough to get, but, hey, so are tickets to see Ben Folds.