Weekend Roundup: St. Paddy’s Day, and “V for Vendetta”

Got a lot of work? Of course you do. But we implore you to get off campus and enjoy one of these fine events because, well, it’s our job. And it beats cleaning your room.

If you’re Irish, or pretend to be, or the concept of bright green beer tickles your taste buds, well, today’s your day. St. Patrick’s Day. (We were much more psyched about Pi Day last Tuesday, because we think green beer sounds gross, but pie is awesome.) Philadelphia has a more than respectable celebration, though the very large parade actually was last weekend. Tonight at 8:00 at Penn’s Annenberg Center you can catch Mick Moloney’s Irish-American Music and Dance Festival, which includes music, dance and poetry. Get your nasty green beer at Philadelphia’s oldest continuously operating tavern, McGillin’s, at 1310 Drury Street.

In movie theaters this weekend, you can see “V for Vendetta,” the long-awaited adaptation of Alan Moore’s graphic novel, directed by the Wachowskis. We have the feeling that there are many people on campus much more qualified to describe this one that we are, but we’ll do our best. It’s about a masked terrorist, er, freedom fighter, who wants to overthrow a totalitarian British government by blowing up Parliament, a la Guy Fawkes. It’s been tweaked from its Thatcher-era origins for “contemporary relevance.” Subversive? Hopefully, but Manohla Dargis of the New York Times wonders “how anyone who isn’t 14 or under could possibly mistake a corporate bread-and-circus entertainment like this for something subversive.” We’re guessing that that won’t stop the fans. (It’s playing at Marple.) Have a terrific weekend!