Weekend roundup

Due to the dearth of activities on campus this weekend, you Swatties have a chance to get into Philly and explore! Take advantage of this free weekend to put things in perspective by seeing that life does exist oustide Swarthmore’s world of academics.

Make like The Bangles and “Walk like an Egyptian” – see the long-term exhibit of the Royal Tombs of Ur at the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology for $5. If Egyptians don’t tickle your fancy, the museum has a multitude of other exhibits to check out, including a full scale Japanese temple and exhibits from Africa, Polynesia, the Etruscans, Greeks, and Romans. For more information, go to www.museum.upenn.edu.

If don’t like museums, Philadelphia has more to offer. Go to Zanzibar Blue instead, a Jazz restaurant open for dinners and lunches (even Sunday brunch!), with no cover charge and no age requirement (unless you plan on ordering alcoholic beverages). For more information about reservations, location, performers, and the menu, go to www.zanzibarblue.com.

And finally, it’s not too late to catch the Philadelphia Fringe Festival! Go see innovative theater before it’s too late, and you might even catch some (current and alumni) Swatties in the festival as members of the Pig Iron Theater Company and the Green Chair Dance Group. For a schedule of events, you can visit www.livearts-fringe.org.