Weekend roundup

After five whole days of classes, each and every one of you is probably ready for a fresh taste of the air outside the bubble. There is a reason for every kind of student to get off campus this weekend. New students: check out the awesome city that is Philadelphia; it gives your college experience some extra spice. Returning students: tired of the Swarthmore scene already? Scamper around the city and discover your new favorite weekend hangout.

Without a doubt, the place to be this weekend is The Fringe Festival. It starts today and runs through September 18th, so if you’d rather stay on campus this weekend (and as you’ll learn later, there are good reasons to do so) you’ve got a bit more time to see it. At the festival, you can choose to view entertainment in seven categories: Dance, Buskers and Happenings, Interdisciplinary, Music, Spoken Word, Theatre, and Visual/Film. A number of Swatties and alumni are participating in the Festival as well, so be sure to lend your support! For a schedule of events, you can go to www.pafringe.org.

For those students who wish to indulge the homebody within after a hectic journey to Swarthmore, unpacking, and a rushed week of classes, there is plenty of entertainment on campus to satisfy. See for yourself that there is magic on Swarthmore campus at the Mike Super magician show, Friday night at 9:00 p.m in LPAC cinema. If you already find yourself needing something to laugh about (yes, I know those seminars are stressful), Swarthmore College has kindly thought of your mental health and is bringing two stand-up comedians to campus Saturday night at 9:00 p.m. in LPAC Cinema–Angelo Lozada and Robbie Printz.

If you feel the need for a something a little mellower, Norah Jones is in town this Saturday at the Mann Center. Her crooning vocals can soothe even the roughest homework assignment right out of your system, and this early in the semester, you can afford the tickets, even after buying books. You can find more information through her official website at www.norahjones.com.

So have fun, be safe, and set a good fun-having precedent for the rest of the semester!