Black student ends life with staph infection

THIS PIECE IS SATIRICAL CENTER CITY— Asher Johnson, 17, died last Monday from a Staphylococcus aureus (staph) infection after a BB gun pellet accidentally lodged into his eye socket in November. The young musical theatre star, a junior at a prestigious area

/

Speak 2 Swatties: Talking Openly About Suicide

Editor’s note: This article was initially published in The Daily Gazette, Swarthmore’s online, daily newspaper founded in Fall 1996. As of Fall 2018, the DG has merged with The Phoenix. See the about page to read more about the DG. Trigger Warning:

/

Shame and Silence After the ER

At the beginning of this semester, The Phoenix conducted an informal online poll which revealed that a substantial portion of the 189 students who chose to respond had struggled with mental health issues. More than half of respondents reported suffering from anxiety