Athlete of the Week: Alyssa Hayashi ʼ25

Alyssa Hayashi, a freshman from Potomac, MD, has begun her Swarthmore Women’s Basketball career with an impressive offensive performance, averaging eleven points per game. Hayashi is also a captain and has been an important contributor to the Garnet’s strong 3-1 start to the season. 

Ally Scheve: What attracted you to Swarthmore’s basketball program? 

Alyssa Hayashi: I wanted to go to a high academic school that played in a good conference. I also wanted to be a part of a basketball program that was growing and building where I could contribute as a freshman. Swarthmore checked all those boxes for me and I haven’t been disappointed. 

AS: What is your (intended) major and why?

AH: My intended major is neuroscience. I am interested in this major because I want to improve the lives of others through science and research. I can accomplish this by understanding how the brain works from a neurological and psychological perspective and desire to conduct research and work in labs. 

AS: What are your personal and team goals for the rest of the season?

AH: My personal goals for the rest of the season are to continue growing as an individual on and off the court. I want to improve my game each week so I can help the team as much as possible. As I look at film, I’m seeing things that I can adjust so I can grow with the team as we continue in conference play. For our team goals, we are a young team with many new players so we are focused on learning and growing together as a unit. This requires trust, hard work, and determination as a team.

AS: What is your favorite thing to do with the basketball team off the field?

AH: My favorite thing to do with the basketball team off the court is eating meals together and just hanging out as a team. We get along really well and any time that we can spend together is special!

AS: What are your pre and post game rituals?

AH: My pregame ritual is to eat a protein bar, go over the scouting report, and lock in mentally for the game. My post game ritual is to celebrate a win with my team in the locker room, shower, and eat some good food.

AS: What is the most important lesson that you have learned from your time on the team?

AH: The most important lesson that I’ve learned from my team is that together we can get through anything. We have dealt with different challenges and I can see how we’ve grown together. It’s our mental and physical toughness that pulls us through and stands out to me.

AS: What has been your favorite moment of the season thus far?

AH: My favorite moment of the season thus far has been getting our first conference win on the road against Ursinus. They were ranked ahead of us in the preseason conference rankings, so it was really nice to beat them on their home court.

AS: What is your favorite part about your position?

AH: As a captain, it has been an honor to help lead this special group of players. I am also the point guard on the team, so being able to control the game, call the plays, and see the whole floor is my favorite part of my position offensively. It is important that I help create more opportunities for everyone to score and be successful as well as to make it difficult for the defense to guard us as a team. Defensively, I like to be aggressive and make it challenging for the opposing team to score. It is important that my teammates and I trust one another especially when it comes to help and helping the helper. We are one unit and any way that I can help and contribute to the team is what I am focused on. 

AS: Favorite Sharples bar?

AH: My favorite Sharples bar is the wing bar.