Swatter (March 28—April 4): An Abandoned Tent, Shaving Cream, and “Party Information”

September, Swatter
The Swatter

Power Failure

Date: Monday, March 28, 2016
Time: 03:36 PM
Location: Swarthmore College Campus
Synopsis: A brief power interruption occurred at approximately 3:36 p.m. which primarily seemed to affect the north side of campus. Maintenance staff responded, and problem conditions were resolved by 4:45 p.m.
Status: Closed

Medical Response

Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2016
Time: 08:36 AM
Location: Pittenger Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Pittenger Residence Hall for an ill student. Upon arrival, the student declined medical attention.
Status: Closed

Fire Alarm

Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Time: 01:55 PM
Location: Trotter Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety and Facilities responded to Trotter Hall for a fire alarm. There was no smoke or fire. It was determined that there was a faulty detector.
Status: Closed

Dorm Room Smoke Detector Alarm

Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Time: 06:39 PM
Location: Wharton Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Wharton Residence Hall for a fire alarm. There was smoke but no fire. It was determined that burned food had activated the alarm.
Status: Closed

Investigation

Date: Friday, April 1, 2016
Time: 11:53 PM
Location: Science Center Chiller Plant
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to the Crum Woods for the report of a tent in the woods behind the Chiller Plant. The tent was located, found abandoned, and did not appear to have been recently occupied.
Status: Closed

Controlled Substance: Marijuana Possession

Date: Saturday, April 2, 2016
Time: 08:06 PM
Location: Wharton Residence Hall
Synopsis: While on patrol, Public Safety discovered a group of Swarthmore students smoking marijuana in the Wharton courtyard. Matter referred to the Dean’s office.
Status: Dean’s Referral

Party Information

Date: Saturday, April 2, 2016
Time: 09:39 PM
Location: Wharton Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety confiscated unauthorized alcohol from a registered party within Wharton Residence Hall.
Status: Dean’s Referral

Fire Alarm

Date: Sunday, April 3, 2016
Time: 01:10 PM
Location: Clothier Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to a fire alarm within Clothier Hall. There was no smoke or fire. It was determined that the alarm was activated due to a fire extinguisher being discharged.
Status: Investigation

Purchase, Consumption, Possession, Transportation of Liquor, Malt, or Brewed Beverages and Medical Response

Date: Sunday, April 3, 2016
Time: 02:04 AM
Location: Willets Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Willets Residence Hall for an ill guest of a Swarthmore student. It was determined that the guest was intoxicated. Matter referred to Dean’s office.
Status: Dean’s Referral

Criminal Mischief

Date: Sunday, April 3, 2016
Time: 09:19 AM
Location: Clothier Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety and EVS responded to Clothier Hall for the report of a discharged fire extinguisher. Matter is under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Criminal Mischief

Date: Sunday, April 3, 2016
Time: 01:37 PM
Location: Sharples Dining Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Sharples Dining Hall patio for the report of damage to the patio furniture and broken bottles. Matter is under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Criminal Mischief

Date: Sunday, April 3, 2016
Time: 06:20 PM
Location: Mertz Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Mertz Residence Hall for the report of shaving cream sprayed on the floor of the second floor restroom. Matter is under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Public Safety Assistance

Date: Sunday, April 3, 2016
Time: 08:03 PM
Location: 121 Park Avenue
Synopsis: Swarthmore Police Department contacted Public Safety regarding a Swarthmore student who was cited by Swarthmore Police. Matter has been referred to the Dean’s office.
Status: Dean’s Referral

Accident — Crash

Date: Sunday, April 3, 2016
Time: 08:51 PM
Location: Mary Lyons 4
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to the exterior of Mary Lyons to meet with a driver and a Swarthmore student who was struck by the driver’s vehicle while crossing the street. The student appeared uninjured, declined medical attention, and returned to their residence hall.
Status: Closed

Jacob Demree

Jacob is a freshman from Mount Laurel, NJ, who has loved reading ever since reading Bob Books and writing ever since scribbling notes to his parents and siblings. Trying to see if a quadruple major is possible, he spends his time searching for endnotes, reducing margin sizes, and, of course, reading The Daily Gazette. When he’s not doing any of these things, he enjoys reading non-required materials (and not annotating them), playing guitar, gangsa, piano, or melodica, helping out social justice efforts on campus, and hanging out with friends and family at museums and Sharples. He plans to start planning his program of study before the end of his sophomore year.