Weekend Roundup

Baseball:

The team (16-5) was off this past weekend. This Saturday, 4/2, they travel to Dickinson for a doubleheader—their first conference games of the season. Heading into Conference play, Ryan Burnett ’17 leads the league in steals (13), Aidan Miller ’17 leads the league in saves (4) and Joe Jackson ’18 ranks second in home runs (4).

Women’s Tennis:

Last Saturday, the Garnet (3-3, 2-0 CC) made quick work of McDaniel, sweeping all of their matches (9-0). In the nine matches, the women only dropped eight games total. Maria Cuervo ’18, Ashley Gao ’18 and Arya Jemal ’19 all won by the score 6-0, 6-0. Jemal, with her partner Amanda Izes ’19, also won her doubles match without conceding a game (8-0). Her impressive play earned her the title of Conference Player of the Week for March 21-27. The Garnet’s next opponent is The College of New Jersey. They will face-off this Saturday at the Faulkner Courts.

Men’s Tennis:

The men’s tennis team (5-5, 1-0 CC), ranked 31st in the country, also had a great Saturday, pulling off a 7-2 upset victory against 20th-ranked Washington & Lee. It began with a sweep of all three doubles matches, with the teams of John Larkin ’16 and Blake Oetting ’18, Mark Fallati ’18 and Josh Powell ’18, and Ari Cepelewicz ’18 and Simon Vernier ’19 earning the wins. Then, in singles play, the Garnet won the No. 1, No. 3, No. 5, and No. 6 matches. Fallati, after winning in doubles and the No.1 match, was named Centennial Conference Player of the Week. The team’s next opponent will be conference rivals Johns Hopkins on Saturday at home.

Men’s Lacrosse:

Despite an impressive 4-2 start to the season, the men’s lacrosse team lost 18-8 against Ursinus on Saturday in their first conference game of the season. After Ursinus went up 9-1 in the first quarter, the closest the Garnet ever got was a six-goal deficit in the second quarter. Matt Johnson ’18, who had missed two games due to injury, had a team-high three goals. Overall, though, the Garnet were outdone offensively, as they were outshot by Ursinus 45-25. The team will be looking for a better outcome in their next game at non-conference opponent Misericordia on Saturday.

Women’s Lacrosse:

This past weekend, Swarthmore (3-4, 0-1 CC) traveled to Ursinus for their first conference match. After a hot start that included two goals each from Elizabeth Upton ’16 and Lizzie Kolln ’16, the Garnet burst out to a 9-2 lead. However, in the second half, the lead quickly dissipated and the game went into overtime. With 22 seconds left in period, Swarthmore conceded a goal which capped off Ursinus’ impressive comeback. The team hopes to rebound in their next conference match against Bryn Mawr this Saturday at Clothier Field.

Golf:

This weekend the Garnet finished fifth out of eleven teams at the McDaniel Spring Invitational. Nick DiMaio ’19 led the Garnet, shooting a +6. He placed sixth out of sixty-three participants. Michael Chen ’17 also had a good weekend, shooting a +9 and finishing in 12th place. The Garnet play their next match on April 3 at Hershey Country Club.

Softball:

The past week did not go so well for the softball team, who struggled through a five-game losing streak that was finally broken Tuesday night. The first two losses were during a doubleheader on Thursday against Widener, in which the Garnet were outscored by a total of 16-2. Against Penn State in a doubleheader on Saturday, the team didn’t fare much better despite playing at home and lost both games. Things were starting to look grim when the Garnet lost the first game of the doubleheader against Muhlenberg, but they finally came through in the nightcap for a 3-2 victory. Despite starting down 2-0, the team rallied back in the fifth with runs from Marit Vike ’19, Amanda Lopez ’19, and Sara Planthaber ’17. Now, the team has a chance to build some momentum in their next matchup, a doubleheader at conference opponents Gettysburg on Saturday.

Badminton:

On Sunday, the women’s badminton team went out to Edison, N.J., to compete in the Northeast Collegiate Championship. There, they placed third out of five teams in the Division 2B bracket with a 2-2 record, earning wins against University of Connecticut and University of Massachusetts Amherst. Mary Htet ’19 and Hailie Xie ’19 both won eight games. The team’s next competition will be the Pennsylvania State Open on April 8-9.