Guardiola Setting Bayern Munich Up To Be Powerhouse

Controversial topics are usually my favorite and I was going to write about how Ray Lewis’s triceps were either repaired by a Christmas miracle or, more likely, by other man-made miracles that may or may not have been previously on the head of a deer in New Zealand. But the Ravens won, so they can celebrate for a little bit and Ray Lewis can carry on his claim that God is magnificent and that God was really concerned with fixing his triceps four months earlier than he does for everyone else. If the Ravens had lost, I think I would have done the same thing as I’m doing now because to kick a man when he is down is not gentlemanly, but in the coming weeks I will be among the group of fans clamouring for Ray Lewis to surrender his blood for blood tests. This is not a good time for that though, so let’s talk about happier things like YouTube videos of otters causing havoc or goats making strange sounds.

Or let’s talk about important issues in European football … like Pep Guardiola going to Bayern Munich this summer to form his new super team that will spend the next decade battling with Barcelona for dominance of the world that may eventually lead to German domination of Europe. Guardiola’s move to Bayern makes a lot of sense when you think about it: Bayern has all the necessary elements for continental success like Barcelona did. Transitioning to Bavaria should be no problem for Pep given that Bayern already have a world-class team that can play effective passing football and a youth academy like La Masia where he can harvest talent to fill in his squad. One of the richest clubs in the world (without debt as well), a gigantic stadium, and a heritage that breeds a culture of winning; all of these will only help make Guardiola’s Bayern into one of the strongest teams in Europe.

The future of Bavaria looks secure given that Jupp Heynckes will retire at the end of the year with a strong Bayern side intact and flourishing in the league. Many of the players are either just reaching their peak: Ribery, Lahm, Schweinsteiger; or are beginning to show that their talent might turn into success: Badstuber, Boateng, Alaba, Kroos. The basis for a world class team with a winning mentality is already in Munich and the addition of a world class manager with a brand of attacking football that will suit the Bavarian club is sure to lead to greater success.
But it is also sensible to look at the other reasons why Guardiola’s move to Munich makes so much sense. Yes, a lot of it should be put down to just how good Munich is as a team and as an organisation. However, where were the other opportunities in European football? Chelsea is the obvious opportunity available. It is a poisoned chalice. Nobody should be allowed to manage Chelsea. Abramovich might as well go one step further than Jerry Jones and take over coaching the team himself. It makes no sense for Chelsea to even hire a manager. Just get in an unpaid intern who won’t be able to control the players and will be free to fire after a couple of poor matches. That would make more sense and would be a great reality TV show, better than Being: Liverpool (thankfully over), as young football fans could be put into the stressful world of a football club and have all their childhood dreams shattered by John Terry, after he has had an affair with your wife, and Ashley Cole, who has brought his air rifle to training. Guardiola is an intelligent man. Guardiola wouldn’t go to Chelsea and have his reputation stained.

The other options would have been Manchester United and City but Guardiola is friends with Alex Ferguson and so would not go to City nor would he force Ferguson out of a job (that will be Mourinho’s job next week). The Spanish national team wasn’t an option for a Catalonian. Who wants to take over the sinking ship of Inter Milan still poisoned by the end of the Mourinho era and currently going through refurbishment (as is AC). Roma collapsed too late to get into the rush for Guardiola and Arsenal will never abandon Wenger even as they start forming the next generation of players; I think it’s currently the tenth or eleventh attempt to create a team from the academy, maybe? My numbers might be a little low. I lost track after Jeremie Aliadiere left. When you look at the clubs that were available, then Bayern is the logical choice, it is also one of the best-run clubs in the world and Pep is a very lucky man. But that is what happens when you are a world-class manager taking a sabbatical in NYC; you get to choose your next opportunity.

I will leave you with one thought though: Jose Mourinho is most likely not going to last past the end of this season at Real Madrid. Jogi Low is supposedly in line for the Real Madrid job and Jurgen Klopp is the next in line for the German job. Would it be that strange is Mourinho was perhaps looking at Guardiola’s move to Bayern and thinking about a move to Germany at the end of the season too, if not just to learn a new language and beat his nemesis? If Mourinho does leave Madrid it would most likely be for Chelsea or Manchester United but I will retain the hope, in a conspiratorial fashion, that he will be eyeing up the Dortmund job.