/

The Swatter: October 1-7

September, Swatter
The Swatter

Medical Response 

Date: Monday, October 1
Time: 2:43 p.m.
Location: Clothier Hall
Synopsis: An employee reported the need for medical attention. Upon arrival Public Safety Officers determined the injury took place when the employee was cleaning the grill and scraped their arm on equipment under the grill. The officer provided first aid and the employee declined any further treatment.
Status: Human Resources Referral

Fire Hazard 

Date: Monday, October 1
Time: 5:53 p.m.
Location: Intercultural Center
Synopsis: A Public Safety Officer observed an outdoor charcoal grill inside the IC Big Room. Investigation determined that the grill had been purchased by the IC and is authorized. No further action required.
Status: Closed

Investigation Person(s) 

Date: Tuesday, October 2
Time: 9:20-10:30 p.m.
Location: McCabe Library
Synopsis: Informatin received in reference to an unidentified male who was leaving the McCabe library with what appeared to be a computer. Upon Public Safety’s arrival, the individual was not in the area. No additional information is available.
Status: Inactive

Fire Alarm  

Date: Wednesday, October 3
Time: 10:36 a.m.
Location: Worth Residence Hall
Synopsis: A fire alarm was activated in Worth Hall section N. The cause of the alarm was steam within the shower area from EVS.
Status: Closed

Investigation Person(s)

Date: Wednesday, October 3
Time: 3:46 p.m.
Location: Clothier Field Grandstand
Synopsis: A staff member reported an individual who was acting unusual around the fieldhouse and grandstands area. Public Safety responded, identified the individual and escorted the individual off campus.
Status: Closed

Fire Alarm

Date: Wednesday, October 3
Time: 7:14 p.m.
Location: Mary Lyons 4
Synopsis: Fire alarm was received from within Mary Lyons #4 Residence Hall, 3rd floor west area. The cause of the alarm was a faulty smoke detector. Public Safety and Facilities responded and reset the alarm system.
Status: Cleared

Investigation Person(s)

Date: Wednesday, October 3
Time: 7:08-8:20 p.m.
Location: McCabe Library
Synopsis: McCabe Library staff reported concern over an older male subject loitering within the McCabe Library. Public Safety responded to the area and conducted a search for the individual with negative results. Matter under investigation.
Status: Inactive

Simple Assault/Not Aggravated 

Date: Friday, September 28 (Reported Thursday, October 4)
Time: 11:59 p.m.
Location: —
Synopsis: Information received from Bryn Mawr College Public Safety in reference to two Bryn Mawr students who were assaulted while visiting Swarthmore College by three females while waiting for the shuttle bus back to Bryn Mawr Campus. No additional information is available at this time. This matter is under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Suspicious Condition 

Date: Thursday, October 4
Time: 11:27 p.m.
Location: Hicks Hall
Synopsis: A public safety officer on routine patrol observed two fire extinguisher that had been discharged. The residue was in several areas. The responsible individuals are unknown at the time of this report. This incident is under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Medical Emergency  

Date: Friday, October 5
Time: 1:20-1:36 p.m.
Location: Parrish East Circle
Synopsis: Officers responded to the report of a female visitor to campus who was experiencing chest pain and numbness. Emergency Medical Services were requested and the individual was transported to the hospital.
Status: Closed

Criminal Mischief 

Date: Saturday, October 6
Time: 12:00 a.m.
Location: Bike Rack Outside Mertz Basement
Synopsis: Officers responded to the report of a group of juveniles who took something off of a bicycle parked by Mertz basement, and threw the object in the direction of David Kemp Residence Hall. The object subsequently struck a window on the second floor breeze way. The individuals were gone before the officers arrived. A search of the area was conducted with negative results. This information will remain on file for future reference.
Status: Inactive

Investigation Person(s) 

Date: Saturday, October 6
Time: 4:33-4:52 p.m.
Location: Lamb Miller Field House
Synopsis: Fieldhouse Security notified the Public Safety Communication Center stating that there were five male youths playing basketball and that they were not suppose to be there. Officers responded and identified the individuals. The group was asked to leave and they complied.
Status: Closed

Mischief

Date: Saturday, October 6
Time: 10:21 p.m.
Location: Clothier Hall
Synopsis: Officers responded to the report of mischief. Investigation determined that a roll of toilet paper thrown in womans room and in the common area hallway. No other damage reported and the responsible individual(s) are unknown.
Status: Inactive

Investigation Person(s) 

Date: Saturday, October 6
Time: 11:33-11:55 p.m.
Location: McCabe Library
Synopsis: Communications Officers observed individuals on camera in the library after closing. Public Safety Officers were dispatched and identified two students who remained in the library. The individuals were advised that they are not permitted to stay in the library after closing and were escorted out of the building.
Status: Inactive

Intoxicated Student 

Date: Sunday, October 7
Time: 12:50-1:11 a.m.
Location: Hallowell Residence Hall
Synopsis: Officers reponded to the report of a student in need of medical assistance as a result of over consumption of alcohol. The student was transported to Health Center for evaluation and treatment.
Status: —

Fire Alarm 

Date: Sunday, October 7
Time: 1:11-1:18 a.m.
Location: Worth Residence Hall
Synopsis: Officers responded to the report of a fire alarm activation. Investigatin determined the alarm was caused by burnt food in the stove. Officers were able to clear the area of smoke and reset the alarm panel. No further action required.
Status: Closed

Intoxicated Person(s) 

Date: Sunday, October 7
Time: 1:35 a.m.
Location: Sharples Dining Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety Officers on routine patrol observed 3 males on the Dining Hall roof. One student was identified and two individuals fled the scene. Several areas of the roof were damaged. This matter has been forwaded to the deans office and is under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Theft

Date: Sunday, October 7
Time: 3:33 p.m.
Location: Mertz Residence Hall
Synopsis: Information received in reference to a missing bicycle and combination lock. The bicycle was last seen in the area of Mertz Hall approximately two weeks ago. This matter is under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Gas Report

Date: Sunday, October 7
Time: 5:48-6:00 p.m.
Location: Lang Center for Civic and Social Responsibility
Synopsis: Officers responded to the report of strong odor of gas along Whittier place. Investigation was unable to determine a specific location or cause for the odor. The caller was notified.
Status: Closed

Medical Response 

Date: Sunday, October 7
Time: 11:17 p.m. – 12:19 a.m. (Monday)
Location: Worth Health Center
Synopsis: Officers responded to the Health Center to transport a student who had a laceration on his arm. All appropriate offices were advised. The student was later released from the hospital and returned to campus.
Status: Dean’s Referral