Prints and Prisoners

Swatties, emerge from your abodes! The snow isn’t that bad. At least, not bad enough that you should shut yourselves inside rather than indulge in the wonderful arts events we have going on this weekend! Whether you’ve got a sweetheart, screw date, or free time you’d like to spend doing something awesome, the Weekend Roundup is here for you.

The Island, the Honors Acting Thesis of Niccolo Moretti ’10 is showing this weekend. The Tony-nominated play was written by Athol Fugard, John Kani and Winston Ntshona in 1973 and is inspired by a true story. It takes place in apartheid South Africa in 1974. Two characters, John and Winston, have been imprisoned on Robben Island for three years. They are preparing to put on a production of Antigone for their fellow inmates when they receive news that one is due for early release and the other is serving a life sentence. Luke Rampersad ’10 is also featured in this show directed by Suzi Takahashi. It will show tonight and tomorrow night at 8PM and on Sunday at 3PM in the LPAC Frear Ensemble Theater.

A cool event in Philly is Philagrafika 2010: The Graphic Unconscious. Hosted by The Print Center, Philagrafika will showcase the work of more than 300 artists and will unite 88 Philadelphia art institutions, including the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. The festival is centered on the idea of creating community through production and will address how artists have used printmaking to distribute their work to a broad audience. The event is free! Information can be found here.

This is a good weekend for spirit-lifting music. Temple University is hosting a Valentine’s Soul Jam, sure to be smooth and sexy. It features such acts as The Stylistics, Emotions, Ray Goodman and Brown, Blue Magic Persuaders, and New Birth. Tickets are $35.50, $47.50, and $67.50 plus a $2 facility fee. The concert takes place at Temple’s Liacouras Center. More info here.

Or, you could head out to the Kimmel Center where, as a part of their Broadway Series, they’re featuring the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber. This show, described as “Very impressive,” by The Washington Post ends this Sunday. A cast of six Broadway stars backed by an onstage orchestra perform the best-loved songs from Webber’s scores for shows like Cats, The Phantom of the Opera, Jesus Christ Superstar, and _Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Ticket prices range from $20 to $80. You can find more information about the event here.