No Pants December a Hit

On December 1st, a group of Swarthmore students kicked off No Pants December by forsaking jeans for an entire month. The group was initiated last year by several students of the Class of 2008 and it quickly spread with the help of friends and Facebook. This year, leadership for the cause was passed to senior Randall Johnston, who has eagerly taken on the role.

No Pants December was started as a way to show creativity in choosing one’s wardrobe, and also simply as something to do. According to Johnston, people participate in No Pants December because, “it’s liberating, it’s fun because it’s pointless, it allows one to take more precautions against getting lazy and just throwing on jeans and a sweatshirt because it’s cold, and it motivates one not to put on those holiday pounds. After all, spandex doesn’t hide much, and, in the case of NPD, appearance is key.”

Ambar La Forgia ’11 is one of the many participants of No Pants December. “I never wore pants, even as a child. Pants restrict me from expressing my fashion creativity. Actually I never wear pants, so this month is made for me.”

Johnston echoed La Forgia’s sentiments about wardrobe creativity as she enjoys coming up with different combinations of clothing. She also added more ambitious reasons for partaking in this event: “It builds a sense of community and struggle against the pantriarchy and toward liberation for all. It’s a conversation starter for meeting new people, and getting to know others better. It’s a cause to agree upon with no heavy significance – which, let’s face it, is something Swatties need a little more of.”

Thus far, Johnston is thrilled with how the month is going. “I’m pleased and proud with the progress we’ve made – many are showing dedication beyond what I could have imagined.”

No Pants December continues throughout the rest of December – just because students may be home for vacation does not mean that it is okay to start wearing pants again!