Weekend Roundup: First Friday, Groundhogs, Superbowl

Add/Drop is now officially done! But there’s no need to despair because you still have plenty of other things to pick and choose… such as what you’ll be up to this weekend. The movie committee has brought the Academy Award nominee “American Gangster” to Swat and Olde Club will be hosting two groups tonight, “Illinois” and “The Extraordinaires.”

Tonight is First Friday in Philadelphia, meaning galleries all over the city are open and much of the Old City will be rife with artsy activities as people peruse new pieces in galleries like the Clay Studio and Nexus (currently running a show on “Yummy!” food). If you’re feeling especially adventurous, you could even check out the Philadelphia Art Museum’s Art After Five which will be featuring a D.J. whose play list promises to be a “Bollywood blowout.”

For those of you who may be hoping for warmer weather, you had best be crossing your fingers as Saturday is Groundhog Day, when Pennsylvania native Punxsutawny Phil provides us with the ever-accurate prediction of when spring will arrive. In keeping with the spirit of the day, you can stop by the Academy of Natural Sciences to check out displays on the history of the groundhog and how the legend of Punxsutawny Phil came about.

Football fans won’t need to be reminded that Sunday might be a good day to stay in and as the Philadelphia Wingbowl is today, you can be sure that many local wing-suppliers will be happy to cater. That said, to those of you who are neither Giants nor Patriots fans, you could always unwind a bit on your Sunday afternoon by checking out the Philadelphia Orchestra chamber concert at the Perelman Theater.