Ping Pong Club Is Coming

Swarthmore has seen many interesting club sports in the past, but has been sorely missing the old favorite of table tennis. All that is to change under the direction of Steven Dean ’11 and his plan to create Swat’s very own ping pong club. Currently, it is still in the works of being approved, but he already has big hopes for his club.

“I envision a club that reflects the interest of its members…the structure will be democratic, with as much potential for growth as our budget and student interest with allow.” Dean is excited from what he’s already seen in watching the popularity of Alice Paul’s ping pong table.

He says he wants his club to be flexible and adaptable, and depending on the level of skill that each players bring, Dean expects to have both training sessions and perhaps even tournaments.

In the future, he cited one of his goals as to “establish a space other than Alice Paul where students can go and play ping pong whenever it tickles their fancy.” Tarble is one possibility, where one of the pool tables in the gameroom could be replaced with a ping pong table.

Though the club is still only in its nascent stages, Dean is optimistic for the future and is hoping to have his club debut soon, maybe even before fall break.