Student Council 411

Student Council discussed the agenda for an upcoming forum with the Intercultural Center and Black Cultural Center. This event will be happening in the Scheuer Room on Sunday the 16th from 1-3 PM, and will be a chance for minority groups to dialogue with Student Council.

Items on the agenda will include ways to increase minority representation on appointed committees, ways to encourage people from different backgrounds to run for Council, and the funding process. These are all processes which Student Council has control over and in which it can effect change quickly, but other suggestions for what should be discussed are welcome.

Good news for new student groups: Student Council now has a process in place for requesting seed money. If your group needs to attract members before it can be chartered and receive a regular budget from SBC, you can apply for fifty dollars in funding to get it up and running.

Student Council also briefly discussed the power structure between SBC, SAC, and Council. These groups have not always communicated smoothly and it’s thought that a change in organization, such as having an SBC member sit in at Student Council meetings, could be a useful change.

Lastly, Student Council plans to publicize the “Take Your Professor to Lunch” program, starting now: if you want to keep an after-class discussion going, bring your professor to Sharples, tell the checker you’re taking your professor to lunch, and have the school pick up their tab. We hear your professors really like wing bar.