Colin Palmer performing in senior recital

This Friday, March 31, in the Lang Concert Hall, the Swarthmore Department of Music and Dance will be presenting Colin Palmer ’06, who will be performing in his senior recital. Palmer, who has been studying piano for the past fifteen years, will be performing works by Chopin and Beethoven. The concert, which includes an intermission, will begin at 8:00 p.m. and is open to all.

The theme of the evening is strongly Romantic, featuring the beautiful and passionate pieces of Chopin and of Beethoven, whose pieces from the late Classical period are considered bridges into the Romantic movement. The program is made up of Beethoven’s Sonata in D Minor “The Tempest,” Op. 31 No. 2 and Sonata in F Minor “Apassionata,” Op. 53, as well as Chopin’s Ballade No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 23 and Ballade No. 3 in A-Flat Major. Palmer describes his choices as “Four pieces that I really like.” His goal, simply put, is to perform pieces of music that the listeners will find beautiful.

Palmer, who is hoping to do research in cell biology, has spent the past four years at Swarthmore studying piano under Marcantonio Barone. A biology major, piano has been a much loved part of Palmer’s life since the age of 7. This is his first time performing a solo concert of this kind and though he describes himself as “Excited but equally nervous about it…It’s something I’ve always wanted to do.” His skill and passion for these pieces will undoubtedly translate well on Friday night. With such a lyrically potent program, the performance promises a treat for all who attend.