Mascot search picks up

This week, the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) and Garnet Club members are “storming the dorms” and attempting to get 750 signatures to show student support for the search, development, and implementation of a new Swarthmore mascot. Also, this weekend the groups met with members of the Alumni Council, who seemed receptive to the idea of a new mascot. President Al Bloom and Vice President of College and Community Relations Maurice Eldridge both gave support to the search for a new mascot as long as alumni and faculty voices are heard. The Board of Managers will have to approve whatever mascot is chosen, but support from the student body is the first step.

Students who wish to sign the petition would be agreeing to the following:

—–
I, a current student at Swarthmore College, am in favor of the initiation of a search, development and implementation of a Swarthmore mascot.

I believe that a mascot would significantly increase the unity, enthusiasm, spirit and pride in the Swarthmore community. Representing all quarters of the campus and the alumni network, a mascot would provide an opportunity for increased cohesion and collaboration within our unique college.

A community wide search for a new mascot would ensure representation of the union of the academic, artistic and athletic populations within Swarthmore. The independent and distinct nature of Swarthmore would undoubtedly be embodied and compellingly articulated through this new symbol of our college. A fresh sense of school spirit would be catalyzed by our campus’s ability to rally behind this new mascot.

Through incorporation of the student body, alumni, administration, faculty and staff of Swarthmore in the search process, a mascot would represent the past, present and future of the college.
—–

Heidi Fieselmann, co-chair of SAAC, provided information for this write-up and permission to print the text coming from the petition.