Student Council announces tentative plan for naming New Dorm

As reported in the Daily Gazette last week, the New Dorm will soon be getting a name thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor. Tuesday night, Student Council announced the next step in the naming process–identifying the method for student input in choosing a name.

As reported in the Gazette previously, the donor did not wish to name the dorm and wanted to solicit student input; this will be accomplished through the sending of name suggestions to Student Council via email. The Council plans to set up an email account expressly for this purpose and will ask students to submit suggestions and explanations for their suggestions. A list of about ten will then be culled and given to the donor to pick from, with the help of College administration.

Some students are already excited at the possibility of suggesting names; on September 22nd, Mark Hanis ’05 sent an email with a list of suggested names to undisclosed recipients, including Gazette staff. His list included names such as Alice Paul class of 1905, women’s suffragist; Mary Schroeder, class of 1962, chief judge of the 9th Circuit Court; and familiar names like Magill (Helen Magill, first woman in the United States to earn a Ph. D.).