ITS Update: Netreg and wireless networks

While classes have been in session for over two weeks now, a number of students still do not have consistent internet access. The biggest problem registered is from students who are requarantined each time they restart their computer. According to Robin Jacobsen, director of Client Services at ITS, “We reported the problem to Bradford Systems (makers of Campus Manager) and earlier this week applied a fix from Bradford to prevent systems from getting requarantine.” The software was modified to check whether computers are currently online, and also to increase the scan interval from 14 hours to every 48 hours.

Despite this, some computers are still having trouble connecting. As of the 14th, “we have 1232 student systems registered safe and on-line and 54 who are in quarantine,” said Jacobsen. She went on to explain that the majority of the systems in quarantine have had severe system problems, mostly caused by viruses. “During the last 10 days we have detected and blocked over 350,000 viruses on compromised systems,” she explained. ITS is still working on fixing individual students’ computers and hopes to have the entire campus on the network as soon as possible.

In other ITS news, many students may have noticed trouble accessing the wireless network in McCabe. The problem is due to a broken antenna, which should be fixed sometime this week. ITS also has plans to add wireless connections to other high usage areas this fall, like Kohlberg coffee bar, the Science Center commons, and the outdoor areas around these locations.

Says networking director Mark Dumic, “The College’s strategy with regard to wireless has been to slowly add wireless in high impact areas like public spaces rather than incur the large expense and support costs of putting wireless access all over campus. I believe that this will continue to be our strategy for the short-term.” However, for those hoping for wireless access in their favorite spot, there’s still hope: Dumic went on to add, “It should be possible to add a few additional high usage areas if there is consensus from students on what areas would get significant usage.”