Public Safety Officer No Longer at Swarthmore, Investigation Found No Evidence He Racially Profiled Students

Courtesy of Laurence Kesterson

Following an investigation into allegations of racial targeting and unauthorized searches, former Public Safety Officer Brendan Duke is no longer employed at Swarthmore College. The investigation was initiated after an incident with a Black student in March 2024. Investigators from the college and a third party found no evidence of racial profiling in Duke’s actions.

Last May, Black at Swarthmore, a community organization dedicated to amplifying Black voices on campus, published accounts of the incident on their Instagram. They accused Duke of committing nine “illegal/racist actions,” including racial targeting and improper search and seizure, including an unauthorized room search. At the time of publication, Black at Swarthmore had not responded to a private message to their social media account requesting comment on the conclusion of Duke’s investigation. 

Student protests throughout May 2024 called for Duke’s termination and a response from the college. The investigation began earlier that semester, shortly after the incident was reported in March, and was completed at the end of June. The college partnered with an external third party, law firm Cozen O’Connor, “to ensure a fair and objective review,” according to Vice President of Communications and Marketing Andy Hirsch. 

Despite no evidence of racial profiling being found by the investigation, Hirsch says that Public Safety is currently reviewing all policies and procedures, as well as training and professional development requirements, to ensure that Public Safety staff understands the college’s expectations and standards. Hirsch emphasized the importance of this review, particularly regarding officer-student interactions on campus. “We look forward to sharing more as that work moves forward,” he wrote in a statement to The Phoenix. 

Hirsch noted that the department could not disclose whether Duke was terminated or left voluntarily, citing privacy concerns. “I can only share that Officer Duke is no longer employed at the college,” he said. 

The incident has brought attention to Public Safety’s hiring practices, particularly in light of Duke’s previous employment with the New York Police Department (NYPD). During his NYPD tenure, Duke faced five allegations of misconduct and three complaints, two of which were related to abuse of authority. This background has raised questions given the NYPD’s historically controversial “Stop-and-Frisk” policy, which allowed police officers to stop, interrogate, and search citizens on the basis of reasonable suspicion. The policy was deemed unconstitutional in 2013 by a federal court due to overwhelming evidence that it facilitated racial profiling and harassment. 

As the department moves forward with its comprehensive review of practices, students and staff alike will be watching closely to see what changes are enacted and how they may affect future interactions and policies on campus.