Swarthmore Athlete of the Week: Aiden Tomov ’24

Swarthmore Athletics

Aiden Tomov ’24, a senior from Havertown, PA, repped Swarthmore Track and Field well at the FastTrack National Invitational on Friday afternoon. The senior placed eighth overall in the 800-meter run at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex in Staten Island, NY. He clocked an indoor personal record of 1:55.30, outpacing all Division III competitors and several Division I runners. The Garnet returns to action at Haverford’s Keogh Invitational this Saturday.

Sophia Vesely: Can you tell us about the team’s success on Friday?

Aiden Tomov: On Friday, several members of the team went up to New York to race in a big, competitive meet, and everyone who competed set a personal best. I wasn’t too surprised by this because I have watched how hard my teammates have worked this season. My teammates are tenacious and tireless. It was awesome to see their hard work pay off. 

SV: How did it feel to set an indoor personal record in the 800-meter run?

AT: I was super happy to set a personal record in the indoor 800-meter discipline on Friday. However, I am always eager to keep improving.

SV: How did it feel to place first overall among DIII competitors in the 800-meter run?

AT: When it comes to racing, I have a strong sense of competitiveness. To be the fastest DIII runner at this meet for the 800 is very satisfying.

SV: What are some of the team’s goals for the rest of the season?

AT: The main priority is always health. Track and field is such a grueling sport, so we want to do our best to keep everyone healthy and regularly able to practice and compete. Beyond this, we all have personal goals to set our own best marks in our events and to place at a certain rank in the conference.

SV: What are some of your personal goals for the rest of the season?

AT: I want to stay healthy and regularly improve this season. I have suffered a couple of season-ending injuries over the last couple of years and I want to, at all costs, avoid that this year. I also want to win the conference championship’s 800-meter race and set a school record in this event as well. I am currently 0.25 seconds away, so hopefully I can get there.

SV: Do you have any pre- or post-meet rituals?

AT: The night before a race I always cook myself a pasta dinner. Most pre-race nights I like to make chicken parm with salad and garlic bread. It is a good way to get a proper pre-race meal while also keeping me relaxed before the competition.

SV: Why did you choose Swarthmore, and what are you studying?

AT: When I chose my college, I knew I wanted to study engineering. However, I also wanted to be at an institution that emphasized a well-rounded, holistic schooling experience. When I found out about Swarthmore, I loved the idea of getting an interdisciplinary, liberal arts education here. I get to design my engineering curriculum and enrich my experience by taking social science and humanities classes, learning in a different and equally important way. I also love that at Swarthmore I get to interact with a diverse student body with unique backgrounds and ideas, fueling my learning experience beyond the classroom.

SV: What is your favorite Dining Center bar?

AT: The pasta bar is my favorite. It is consistent and fills me up for the rest of the evening.