Running the Virginia Beach Marathon

Photo Credit: Howard Wang (author of this article)

There is an indescribable magic that lingers in the air at the starting line of a marathon. Hearts pound in anticipation, and minds buzz with a mix of excitement and trepidation. This was the profound sensation that enveloped me as I stood on the cusp of the Virginia Beach Marathon, prepared to challenge my limits and discover what I was truly capable of achieving. The night before, sleep had eluded me, as nerves held me captive and forced me to contemplate the personal significance of the task ahead.

My friends Lee Liu, Shanan Liu, and I embarked on an eight-hour Amtrak journey from Swarthmore to Virginia Beach. As the miles rolled by, we bonded over our shared passion for running and our determination to complete the marathon. We spoke about our goals, training experiences, and the importance of supporting each other. Our conversations not only built camaraderie but also calmed our pre-race nerves.

As the starting gun fired, my heart leaped, and adrenaline coursed through my veins. I found myself settling into a comfortable pace as the sea breeze, carrying the scent of saltwater, caressed my face, and the rhythmic sound of waves crashing nearby invigorated my spirit. The initial miles passed by effortlessly, my body and mind working in perfect harmony.

The warm encouragement from the enthusiastic spectators lining the course filled me with gratitude and fueled my determination. Despite my restless night, I felt a surge of energy and confidence as I navigated the winding route along the breathtaking coastline. Each passing mile imbued me with a sense of accomplishment and pride that seemed to grow stronger with every step.

However, around mile eighteen, reality began to set in. My muscles throbbed with pain, and my pace faltered. Exhaustion loomed, threatening to engulf me and reminding me of the sleep I had lost. At that moment, I found myself faced with a choice: give in to the pain or dig deep and find the strength to push through.

To make matters worse, a blister the size of a toenail had formed on my foot, adding another layer of discomfort. But I refused to let it defeat me. Instead, I summoned my mental fortitude and focused on the reasons that brought me to this marathon — the friendships, the memories, and the dedication to my training. I knew I had to keep moving forward, no matter what.

With each step, I fought against the pain and fatigue, drawing inspiration from my friends and the cheering crowd. As I approached the final miles, my breathing became more labored, but I found a rhythm that carried me through the home stretch.

My friends, Lee and Shanan, showcased their incredible perseverance and strength, both completing the marathon in under four hours. Meanwhile, I crossed the finish line with a time of 2:52, feeling an immense wave of emotion wash over me. I was proud of my accomplishment, but even more grateful for the shared experience of overcoming this challenge alongside my friends.

As we hobbled away from the finish line, our legs battered and hearts full, we knew we had forged a bond that would last a lifetime. The Virginia Beach Marathon was not just a test of our physical endurance; it was a testament to the power of friendship, determination, and the indomitable human spirit.